How do you pick an order?

Seriously, that’s the question. I feel so dumb to ask. But I look on the site and everyone seems to know how to do it already.

Is it just through Material Queue? Other screens?

Like, I see that you can “Unpick Sales Order” but how do you pick it in the first place?

1 Like

I know for sure that picking requires AMM.

Don’t know the answer to how to pick but there is also a feature on Order entry to reserve/allocate.

Regards

Matt

1 Like

Hi Jason,

Our people print the Sales Order Pick list and pick and then ship it.

Nancy

1 Like

If you have AMM you can use fulfillment workbench to release the material for picking. This creates material queue records.
From there you CAN use material queue manager to assign an employee to the material queue records. (there is a tran type filter on the screen).
We use EMWW and the My Outbound Order function, the material handlers see the orders assigned to them. You can skip the assignment and they can choose an order previously released through fulfillment workbench.
This is how we do it, it’s out of the box, obviously with some extra licensing for EMWW and AMM.

1 Like

OK, so I am gathering:

Option 1 (@bderuvo):

1. Do stuff in Fulfillment Workbench (FWB)
  2. This creates Material Queue… records (?)
  3. Process a Mtl Queue STK-SHP line (this is the “picking”?), or
    3a. In EKW/EMWW use “My Outbound Order”

Option 2 (@Matt_Belshaw):

1. Order Entry > Actions > Reserve/Allocate
  2. Brings up FWB for just that order
  3. Process like option 1

Option 3 (@Nancy_Hoyt):

1. Print pick list on paper
  2. No computer steps in between
  3. Create shipment by hand (or mass shipment)

(We do it this way currently)

Ok, I have some testing to do. Thank you all.

2 Likes

Jason, the last step in the picking process we use is to ship.
From Customer Shipment Entry, we click actions, view picked orders. it creates the pack slip from us.

1 Like

Hi Jason

I just remembered I had an old training video on this conducted by the consultant and she knew this process. It is via sales order > actions > reserve/allocate.

FWB > actions > allocate > by lot/bin > continue > ad-hoc allocation template select release to picking > Fill in QTY and you should get this

Say no to the next prompt and it will keep it in the material Q.

Now go to Material Request Q. Probably worth creating a BIN called SHIP and moving qty to that bin. Create cust ship entry and go actions > picked orders.

1 Like

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I appreciate the help everyone. Crazy afternoon yesterday.

@bderuvo Thank you, you read my mind - I was curious how you finished out the process

@Matt_Belshaw I’ll try FWB again. I was attempting it yesterday without any sort of manual-reading, and my successes were hit and miss. This ad-hoc thing sounds a lot closer to what I was hoping/expecting. I appreciate the detailed steps.

Jason I am happy you asked this question because I only know option 3 and have no experience with how AMM should be used and how it can make the picking process easier. Both companies I have worked for have AMM, but don’t use it in any fashion and trying to start using it isn’t as easy as 123… Pretty substantial process change and learning curve…

EDIT: I understand the module from a general perspective, but all of the cool detail actions it can do I have not had a chance to play around with or attempt.

1 Like

I dont think the so/allocate process is required to use fulfillment workbench but if someone does allocate for a so you do have to use fwb to complete things.

Here’s what we do. I’ll throw in some variations. All of the following assumes AMM.

When orders are entered, or jobs are released, the FWB is run to allocate inventory to these demands. While we use EMW/EMWW/EKMW (or whatever it’s being called now), we still currently use paper to assign the allocations to a person. The MTLQUE report is customized to include shipping information for orders, warehouse information for jobs. In fact, the APR prints out the job material queues to different locations based on the warehouse where the picks were created.

On the job side, they just scan the material queue sequence number to issue the material to the jobs.

On the order fulfillment side, they go into Outbound Orders to select their items, and then they go into the My Outbound Order to actually pick the order. We use PCIDs to pick the parts to, so when we go into shipment entry we can use the PCIDs to pull those picks into the shipment (serial/lot numbers and all). If you don’t use PCIDs, you can ship order by picks under the Actions Menu.

Several things of note:

• The sort order of the FWB is critically important. However it is sorted on the screen controls the order of allocations.
  • Ship complete lines/orders cannot be picked until they are 100% allocated.
  • Enabling cross docking on the allocation template will ensure that new stock gets allocated to the backorderd job/orders in the order they were first allocated.
1 Like

Hey, I am finally back at this. I am starting to get it, thanks to the advice given here.

First surprise was that in my month-old test database, the material queue was dated 11/18/21, since the order I chose was set to ship by Nov. 18. So when I went looking for today’s Queue, nothing was there. Kind of silly to me, since even in the real DB, there are many orders with old dates. Guess that goes back to the whole discussion of adding a promise date to the sales order

@Matt_Belshaw This is perfect. It sure is a lot of steps, though! It makes me think it could be automated, and I bet if search I will find things on here about that already. :open_mouth:

On the allocate by lot/bin, it didn’t work for me, so I did by part instead. And now I try again and it seems to work OK. So, what is the effect of that? Help guide just says “You can also select to allocate by lot/bin or serial number.” That explains a lot.

Edit: OK, now I see the lot/bin problem:

I see the allocation happen but no MtlQ record is created? I’ll have to toy with this some more.