How to launch "Create case from CustID" from a button?

Hi all,

(This also applies to creating other objects like Invoices, quotes etc where we have some information to prepopulate in the new object.)

In this case we have the CustID, which is used to set HDCase.CustNumCustID which sets HDCase.CustNum.

The system does it internally via context menus, in particular:

But in my case I have a “helpdesk customer tracker” type view (based on Customer Entry) and when they have opened a customer up i want them to be able to create a case for that customer with a button.

I thought I’d peek inside CRGO6200 above to see how its done, but can’t see this menu item listed anywhere else than its context menu reference.

It’ll be listed under the processes at the bottom of menu maintenance.

If you’d like you can either call it via processcaller, or copy the item to a regular menu item to explore.

Ah, found it, searched under “All” for “case”

so its just calling the regular HelpDeskEntry application
pretty much the same as:

Something in the “application” must detect its being asked to “create New” on entry, as well as getting some keyfields passed to it. Similar to when you right click on a case number in a grid, and choose Case Entry, it takes you past the landing page to the case. I assume similar methodology is used to create a new case for a custID.

It’s most likely in the Launch Form Options.

You can explore those if you do a customization on that form and run it through visual studio debug.

1 Like

If you’re doing web ui, I can’t remember the exact steps to get the launch options, but they are in the debug info, and possibly the cmd line options in menu maintenance.

Hi Kevin, I haven’t been able to find launch options for the standard Case entry application, but inspecting the controls in dev tools, and looking at text box bound to custID on a form I can see its context menu items, and what they trigger (first time I’ve managed to find something useful and not get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of data in dev tools, pretty cool!):

So, from application studio, I’m hoping I can setup a call to processCaller and pass in suitable args. I’m mid-google on this now, hope its doable.

Well that’s a hard fail :frowning:

I have an API key (created in API Key maintenance) which we are using successfully with an external time tracking application to make REST calls.
I put this in my erp-function, but I see no ERP Functions Libraries listed.

I can’t see how to get to ProcessCaller, and much googling hasn’t helped. I’m missing something fundamental…

Hang on, there’s an app-open thingummy in the toolbox…

85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Success. It even pops it in a slide out which looks nice; end users may disagree…:

Here’s the run through, start with the button triggering app-open:

With no Launch options, I don’t get a new case, just a blank form waiting for me to enter an existing case number:

However adding this to Launch Options:

{   
	"options": {
		"ValueIn": "{Customer.CustID}",
		"Like": "Customer.CustID"
	}
}

makes the magic happen:

Thanks also to @hmwillett for this piece of awesomeness, including the epDebug.context nugget:

After using this I got:

I basically threw all that into the Launch Options with very little expectation of success and was amazed when it worked. Peeled back until had just the valueIn and Like fields.

Now back to the “real” work…

I only read half of it because I’m full of wagyu and beer, but yay?!

Yay indeed.
:beer::beer::beers:

1 Like