How to Off-set Subassembly to finish ahead of main assembly

How do i get the Subassembly to finish a few days before its needed on the main assembly without using production or set up time?
ASM 1 is set up to be used on Op 20 of ASM 0. all ops are set as Finish-to-start in the scheduling. I have tried to set a send ahead offset of hours on the operation.

currently it will offset only by the time on the job in ASM1.

i have tried using kit time, receive time and Production Prep Buffer

I want ASM1 to start a week before its needed on ASM0 based on Op 20’s date.

Receive Time would be the correct one in this instance. Have you set the Site to include Receive Time in the Manufacturing Lead Time Calculation?

Thats where i assumed would control it too, but it doesnt. Receive time works as expected for any other make direct or make to stock job, just not for subassemblies on the job.

We arent calculating Manufacturing lead times, so nothing is set in there.

i would normally suggest that you schedule it with an operation from the top level item. Example:
TOP routing:
10 Prep Time for sub assy: Duration 48 hours
20 Assembly time

Sub Assembly Routing
10 Step 1
20 Step 2
30 Step 3

Then you tie the sub assembly to the parent assemblies “Prep time” operation as the “related operation”… because the “Prep time” is set to 48 hours (2 days) it will schedule it to be completed 2 days before the assembly work needs to be done in the top job. You can mark the 'prep time" as a backflushed operation so that nobody has to actually complete it (it would auto complete when you finish step 20).

2 Likes

wouldn’t that job then show a Est labor of 48 + of hours. so measuring job efficiency would be skewed?
or by backflushing the labor, the 48 would just cancel out?

Along the lines of what @timshuwy is move time and queue time on a resource group. We add a day of time after audit and before shipping and four hours after any mold operation. The one caveat is anything in that resource group gets the move and queue time. We have looked at having resource groups like Two day hold which would be like you could use here.

1 Like

well… that depends on what resource you associate with it. Where I worked, we sometimes had operations that were totally around “dwell time” where the parts had to age. We put in operations that were setup in HOURS, the resource group assigned was a zero value (no burden/hourly rate) and the calendar assigned was a 24/7 calendar. You could simply put a resource group called “NONE” or “DWELL” or “WAIT” or “QUEUETIME” and same with the OPERATION, and then schedule it. This will not add any cost, but it will add duration to the job.