I have a new Role at Epicor - Cloud Migrations

@timshuwy
Congratulations on your new role.

1 Like

Congratulations, Tim. My only regret is that we didn’t get enough of your advice before you moved on, but you have to place your assets where they can best help the business.

I’m grateful for all of your help in the past, though. Fortunately, this site retains a healthy amount of your past guidance.

Best regards,

Gil

1 Like

Yes, I will want to talk to you about your experience with the :cloud: cloud!

Congrats @timshuwy ! What a great opportunity!

1 Like

Congrats…

1 Like

Congrats Tim.

1 Like

Congrats @timshuwy. As a voice from your past, I will sing the same praises as everyone to you for your expertise, willingness to help, and good humor. Though I am pretty sure I won’t sing it as well as you could. :wink:

2 Likes

Good to hear from you Jim… it has been over 10 years since I we implemented Oldcastle together. Are you now in California?

Yes sir. You have a good memory (or good notes :slight_smile: ) as always. Currently working at an Aerospace and Defense company I really enjoy in L.A. We spoke briefly at an Insights conference a few years back. You seemed to be doing well and surrounded by people who knew you as always. Glad to see that they recognized your talent and moved you “Up”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@timshuwy , I’m a little late to the party, but congrats!!!

Now that you’re the Cloud Guy, maybe you can help with something I’ve been struggling with lately…

I was on Prem for years and didn’t really keep up with the progression of Cloud/SaaS options from like 2017 to 2021. Now I am working with “cloud” customers again and am trying to understand the current landscape of “cloud” options going into 2022. But I feel like I’m getting lost in the terminology… “Public Cloud”, “Private Cloud”, “Gov Cloud”, “Dedicated Tenant”, “SaaS”, and so on… it seems like people are using so many terms interchangeably that the word “Cloud” has become amorphous and meaningless… Not to mention, all the documentation I’ve been able to find is just filled with marketing / salesperson speak that hardly tells me anything.

I guess what I’m looking for is “white paper” documentation that cuts through all the marketing and connects all the terminology to what it actually is on a technical / infrastructure level. Bonus points for listing any and all technical limitations compared to On Prem (e.g. if custom code is restricted in certain areas, etc.).

Does documentation like that exist? Or do I have to keep reading yours and @Mark_Wonsil 's EpiUsers posts to find what I’m looking for? :slight_smile:

You’ll have to listen to Tim and me. :scream: And I was ‘The Cloud Guy’ before Tim! :rofl:

Yes, cloud has come to mean nothing - especially with all of the big cloud companies providing edge services now. We’ll come back to that in a second.

I’ll try to write something up for you…

4 Likes

Yay! A Mark Wonsil write up on Cloud would be an amazing Christmas present!!

Azure Fundamentals AZ-900 classes and exams will help a little.

1 Like

Merry Christmas!

Congratulations Tim!

1 Like

Sorry I just saw this… I missed the question the first time. BUT it appears that @Mark_Wonsil gave a very detailed response that I agree with.
Just as the clouds in the sky, they are always evolving and moving. My first “cloud” customer many years ago was simply an Epicor managed server that was off-prem from the customer. They had dozens of sites, so it really didnt matter that their computers were “on site” because most of the sites were off-site. But NOW, we have made it so that upgrades and maintenance is much more streamlined than ever before. Moving to the cloud allows your company to focus on what your company does best, and to get rid of the headaches of hardware, software, and server maintenance. You still need to have an IT Infrastructure for Networks, and local computers, but the main database is no longer your concern.

3 Likes

@timshuwy
Would Epicor consider an open session to discuss Upgrade from Vantage, E9, and E10 lessons learned from the users that have gone through the Epicor upgrade Cirrus process?
Many have gone through it a few times now and would be happy to share their experience and learn from others.

we do already have this one which is being led by Bryan DeRuvo… I have also passed this onto the Product Marketing team, and they may come back asking for more info.

5/25/2022 15:40 5/25/2022 16:30 Customer-led: Strategies for Successful Kinetic Upgrades and Implementations
Keeping your software up to date is essential to take advantage of the new features and enhancements included with the latest releases of Kinetic.
In this session we’ll learn the strategies and best practices that Stephen Gould has developed to upgrade their companies as well as how they are successfully implementing Kinetic across 40 companies following the Epicor Signature Methodology.

3 Likes

Thanks Tim.
If Stephen Gould is presenting their session, this was more of the adoption of Kinetic.
What I am referring to is the experience that users have had using Epicor to perform the Cirrus upgrade from Vantage and E9.
Lessons learned around UOM conversions, the process of users reviewing the converted records along with the new user interface.
Etc…

@LarsonSolutions, I have heard from those in charge of the schedule that there is another customer led session yet to be announced that is being run by a cloud customer who has migrated and they will be giving their story. I will let you know once I know the date/time.