IIS Recycling Best Practices

Good Morning,

Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve had to recycle IIS on our production db due to log in errors first thing in the AM. It seems as if the daily recycle I have set for 3:30AM is not always starting the pool back up properly. We are a 20 hour x 7 days a week shop, so having IIS recycle at its normal 29 hour period is an issue because while it is recycling, there are a number or process errors. My intention was to set the recycle for a time when no one is processing. Do anyone else run into this issue? Is there something I can set up to avoid these app pool failures?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

lots of very good info like:

1 Like

Thanks. I just read that, but it really speaks about ways to avoid using IISRESET. I never use that and I’m only having an issue with one app pool, but it’s the production environment so I’m trying to avoid downtime.

Here’s another thread that involves confusion over when and how to cycle the app pool

This is good information. I guess recycling IIS is not an issue since it has to do it anyway. I changed it to recycle in the evening rather than overnight, so if there are any issues, I don’t keep waking up to the system being down first thing in the morning. If something goes wrong, at least I can address it during our slower 2nd shift. Thanks for all the info Calvin!