Importing historical data into Epicor after some data is entered in Epicor

Hi Epicor community,

We have a very overdue initiative for bringing some historical data (mainly orders) into Epicor.
I am not sure why this was not done before moving to Epicor and am stuck with this.

The problem is all of these orders need to be placed at index 1 of the table (and push all other orders down). The challenge is I cannot use a prefix or even leading zeros and have run out of ideas plus those orders already have some order numbers from the previous platform and I need to preserve those as well (I could use a UD field, no problem though).

Could you please let me know if you can come up with any ideas?

Regards,
Shizar

Are these orders all closed? If so, I would highly recommend not attempting to import them into your live system into the sales tables. Instead, use a UD Table, and create a “history” UD table to hold this historical data, and then create BAQs to show the history as needed.

STORY TIME: many years ago, at my former employer, I was told that “We NEED the history… We refer to it on a daily basis, going back 5 years.”
Long story short… we decided as a company that we would leave our old system running for historical research and we would not import any history.
FAST FORWARD 6 months after going live. I discovered that the old system’s server was not available. I went in and rebooted it. Turns out that it had failed THREE MONTHS prior, and nobody noticed. I decided to turn it off, and I waited… nobody ever complained. Hmmm… the “NEED” was not really there.
Moral to the story: Make sure that the need for the historical data is real. Historical data does cost money. More money than it is probably worth.

9 Likes

This is good advice, thank you :slight_smile: @timshuwy

1 Like

If it’s just for historical purposes being them into UD100, UD100A record

Don’t muddy your real sales storage with old data

4 Likes

And I may even suggest a completely different store (other SQL, Postgres, Indexed blob, …) so as not to increase the size of the DB, backups, restores, etc.

5 Likes

When we moved to Epicor 10 years ago this was the first thing everyone asked. We exported the sales history from the legacy system into an Access database. I asked all the salesmen if they need anything let me know.

There were very few queries and we did not have to use the Access database more than a few times.

3 Likes

Thank you @timshuwy , @josecgomez , @Mark_Wonsil , and @Vinaykamboj for your input.
I appreciate it very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

When we went to Epicor at my last job, we wanted to keep a five-year sales report similar to the old one. We put key sales data in a UD table and used a union query to seamelessly merge the legacy and Epicor data.

You just have to pick the data you want to keep to keep it from being a big storage issue.

Joe

So what happened to the Historical DMT?..

We are going to do the same thing that everyone including @timshuwy and @josecgomez said :slight_smile:
A comment on what @Mark_Wonsil said is that we wish to be able to pull the data through native BAQ (vs External BAQ) so it makes sense to use an out-of-the-box functionality/capacity.

We have not prepared the data yet and most likely we will use UD fields for the UD table.
I remember @josecgomez said in a post that UD fields add almost no overhead since the relation between them is 1 to 1 join.

1 Like