Inspection Plan Format in 2023.1 Data Collection

Hi Tim, Sadly the new version may be easier to build but it seems to be at the expense of many of the features the configurator provided. The new version in our opinion is not user friendly from an operator perspective. See the examples provided at the beginning of this thread. It is quite frustrating to have purchased Advanced Quality specifically to have user friendly, built in inspection plans in jobs, and then to have someone determine that that functionality is not needed. Based on the responses we have received from EpicCare we just have to live with what I call the ā€œless thanā€ version of inspection plans. Easier to build affects far fewer users than the actual operator results entry part of the inspection plan which is what we now condider to be broken.

Tim,

Can these self-generated screens be modified in Application Studio? Are Inspection Plans now a base application?

1 Like

Sorry to be irreverent to the topic, and please, everyone, I donā€™t want to start a :dumpster_fire: sub-threadā€¦

But in genuine seriousnessā€¦ you actually LIKE the classic Inspection Plan?!

Iā€™m utterly fascinated by this.

We build vehicles and our inspection list (not in Epicor) is 300+ items. I entertained the notion of the Inspection Plan, when I was in QA and before I sealed my fate as the SysAdmin, but it was absurd to use it for something that detailed.

Maybe you have far fewer items per part or something (looks like it) but I just found the whole setup to be really clunky.

I just assumed any change at all would be an improvement.

Again, I donā€™t want to turn this into a bash session. You have a real problem to solve here. Iā€™m just amazed that you are preferring the classic plan - and not simply because of the time invested (which I am sure was substantial).

1 Like

no, you cannot edit the self-generated screens. The system takes the list inspections, and generates a list of questions to be answered, and then does the pass/fail criteria based on how the user answers. The new way uses a grid to build out the answers instead of a configurator.

But you see where Iā€™m going here. A Dashboard is just an application and Epicor allows us to customize it once it becomes an app. Just sayinā€™, a similar capability would be nice for Inspection Plans.

@KayleenHC, want me to add this to your idea?

1 Like

Hi, The set up of an inspection plan is not alot of fun (not hard, just a bit tedious). When we first saw how it was done in 2021, we thought it was a crazy process and surely it could be made simpler. Well now it is simpler but in my opinion, critical parts are missing.

We do not have as many attributes as you describe in your process. We do have inspection plans linked to many of our job operations. By entering the inspection data directly into the job op inspection plan we have a record in the system of the results. We can easily run a BAQ or dashbaord to review results by part or by operation to identify and address trends. The screenshot at the top of this thread shows what the operator would see to complete an inspection plan in both the old and new version. This example is mostly checkboxes but some plans require the operator to enter data such as weight, dimension, number of defects, comments, alloy from a drop down list, etc. Comparing the old version to the new kinetic version, you can see that the new version, although simpler to create is lacking in many of the features found in the old version. The new version is much less user friendly from an operator perspective. So if I have to spend a bit of time to create one of these that is a an engineer or a quality personā€™s time, one time. The result is a 100+ operators now entering inspection results into the system very quickly and one less piece of paper attached to my job or scanned.

But how do I set pass fail for a checkbox? Do not see a way to do that? That is what we had before.

Sure. All help is appreciated!