Job to Job transactions

I know I am extremely late with the THANK YOUs but, thank you all for the response on this topic.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rob Bucek
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:48 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Re: Job to Job transactions

It's been a while since I reviewed the job-to-job costing methods, we are average cost here, if my memory serves me, I thought that the costs were rolled up from the supply job as material to the parent job (though at the assembly\cost tab you can still see the costs for the labor and burden and material from the supply job). The individual cost drivers are still available on the supply job as well, so you can see them from that angle..
I sort of see where they are coming from with regards to how this works if you're on standard costing. Fundamentally you operate on variances and manage those..not sure if they ever considered costing in a mixed mode which is what you seem to be looking for...

Rob Bucek
Production Control Manager
PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
Mobile: (715)896-0590
FAX: (715)284-4084
[Description: cid:1.234354861@...<mailto:1.234354861%40web65412.mail.ac4.yahoo.com>]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
(Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of Millicent Massey
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:27 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>

You are correct. Actual job cost is exactly what we are striving to get. Right now I do not have a standard cost on the sub-assemblies and I can't figure out a way to may this work the way we need it to work. I cannot maintain my five separate cost buckets based on what I am seeing in this module. I am truly at a loss here. I can't see how it's possible.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of pbparker
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Vantage] Re: Job to Job transactions

If I'm reading you right, you're trying to do what we tried to do, which is bring actual costs from job to job, or even the assembly across to another job so you get a final job that shows what the total cost was to create a part.

You're probably finding that you're only getting the standard costs coming across, which is what we found also.

After talking to Epicor, if you use standard costed parts, the part will ALWAYS use the standard cost when it moves in a transaction. Therefore, we were told, there is no way to move ACTUAL costs from job to job if the part moving, or assembly, is in the system and is standard costed.

We were told to change all our component parts that may be moving to any other cost basis other than standard and that we could manage the costs - or override the cost at transfer time.

Not the answer we wanted, and we did not make all those changes - although we are considering it so we can get ACTUAL TRUE costs to manufacture a parent part.

Not sure if that's what you were asking.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Millicent Massey <millicent.massey@...> wrote:
>
> I am doing job to job transactions and I am having difficulty getting the expected results. We are doing standard cost and trying to utilize job to job to transfer material, labor, and all of the burdens without hitting stock. I cannot see how the labor would be transferred, is this possible on this screen? The second question would be if I am building sub-assemblies, is it possible to just transfer the sub-assembly and not the individual materials and still complete the transfer of costs?
>
> Mdm
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

I am doing job to job transactions and I am having difficulty getting the expected results. We are doing standard cost and trying to utilize job to job to transfer material, labor, and all of the burdens without hitting stock. I cannot see how the labor would be transferred, is this possible on this screen? The second question would be if I am building sub-assemblies, is it possible to just transfer the sub-assembly and not the individual materials and still complete the transfer of costs?

Mdm

If I'm reading you right, you're trying to do what we tried to do, which is bring actual costs from job to job, or even the assembly across to another job so you get a final job that shows what the total cost was to create a part.

You're probably finding that you're only getting the standard costs coming across, which is what we found also.

After talking to Epicor, if you use standard costed parts, the part will ALWAYS use the standard cost when it moves in a transaction. Therefore, we were told, there is no way to move ACTUAL costs from job to job if the part moving, or assembly, is in the system and is standard costed.

We were told to change all our component parts that may be moving to any other cost basis other than standard and that we could manage the costs - or override the cost at transfer time.

Not the answer we wanted, and we did not make all those changes - although we are considering it so we can get ACTUAL TRUE costs to manufacture a parent part.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com, Millicent Massey <millicent.massey@...> wrote:
>
> I am doing job to job transactions and I am having difficulty getting the expected results. We are doing standard cost and trying to utilize job to job to transfer material, labor, and all of the burdens without hitting stock. I cannot see how the labor would be transferred, is this possible on this screen? The second question would be if I am building sub-assemblies, is it possible to just transfer the sub-assembly and not the individual materials and still complete the transfer of costs?
>
> Mdm
>
>
>
You are correct. Actual job cost is exactly what we are striving to get. Right now I do not have a standard cost on the sub-assemblies and I can't figure out a way to may this work the way we need it to work. I cannot maintain my five separate cost buckets based on what I am seeing in this module. I am truly at a loss here. I can't see how it's possible.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of pbparker

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Millicent Massey <millicent.massey@...> wrote:
>
>
> Mdm
>
>
>

Wouldn't FIFO costing work for this? If you are using them as they are
being created I would think that should work. I would think average
costing would give you a pretty good idea as well.

Josh Serwe

Manager of Warehouse & Logistics

920.437.6400 Ext. 330

Safety

Professionalism

Effectiveness

Easy

Demand Results

_____

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Millicent Massey

You are correct. Actual job cost is exactly what we are striving to get.
Right now I do not have a standard cost on the sub-assemblies and I can't
figure out a way to may this work the way we need it to work. I cannot
maintain my five separate cost buckets based on what I am seeing in this
module. I am truly at a loss here. I can't see how it's possible.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
Behalf Of pbparker
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>

If I'm reading you right, you're trying to do what we tried to do, which
is bring actual costs from job to job, or even the assembly across to
another job so you get a final job that shows what the total cost was to
create a part.

You're probably finding that you're only getting the standard costs coming
across, which is what we found also.

After talking to Epicor, if you use standard costed parts, the part will
ALWAYS use the standard cost when it moves in a transaction. Therefore, we
were told, there is no way to move ACTUAL costs from job to job if the
part moving, or assembly, is in the system and is standard costed.

We were told to change all our component parts that may be moving to any
other cost basis other than standard and that we could manage the costs -
or override the cost at transfer time.

Not the answer we wanted, and we did not make all those changes - although
we are considering it so we can get ACTUAL TRUE costs to manufacture a
parent part.

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Millicent Massey
<millicent.massey@...> wrote:
>
> I am doing job to job transactions and I am having difficulty getting
the expected results. We are doing standard cost and trying to utilize job
to job to transfer material, labor, and all of the burdens without hitting
stock. I cannot see how the labor would be transferred, is this possible
on this screen? The second question would be if I am building
sub-assemblies, is it possible to just transfer the sub-assembly and not
the individual materials and still complete the transfer of costs?
>
> Mdm
>
>
>

It's been a while since I reviewed the job-to-job costing methods, we are average cost here, if my memory serves me, I thought that the costs were rolled up from the supply job as material to the parent job (though at the assembly\cost tab you can still see the costs for the labor and burden and material from the supply job). The individual cost drivers are still available on the supply job as well, so you can see them from that angle..
I sort of see where they are coming from with regards to how this works if you're on standard costing. Fundamentally you operate on variances and manage those..not sure if they ever considered costing in a mixed mode which is what you seem to be looking for...

Rob Bucek
Production Control Manager
PH: (715) 284-5376 ext 311
Mobile: (715)896-0590
FAX: (715)284-4084
[Description: cid:1.234354861@...]<http://www.dsmfg.com/>
(Click the logo to view our site)<http://www.dsmfg.com/>

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Millicent Massey

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of pbparker
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>

--- In vantage@yahoogroups.com<mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:vantage%40yahoogroups.com>, Millicent Massey <millicent.massey@...> wrote:
>
>
> Mdm
>
>
>