Journal Entry attachments to DocStar

I am setting up a process to attach Journal Entry documentation to GL Journal Header and at the same time store the attachments in DocStar. I can successfully attach the documents in Epicor but I can’t seem to get any of the defined metadata to show in DocStar.

I have been able to do the same process with Part Revision drawings successfully. I will open a ticket with support just thought I’d check if anyone with DocStar been able to send metadata for GL Journal tables to DocStar?

I should clarify the attachments are visible in DocStar just not the metadata which is needed when searching for a document in the future.

Did you define the Metadata for the Document Type in Epicor?

Sure have :slight_smile:

And it prompts/fills in on the Attachment Form?

That’s the issue I am seeing. Normally it will be filled out with the metadata or I can enter, in this case all read only.

When I get a moment, I’ll try to duplicate here in my Pilot DB.

Journal Attachments are fairly new. 10.2.100 I believe, so it could be a bug.

Sweet. Not to say I’m not missing something. This group is great to keep me accountable on my setup.
Thank you.

What metadata fields did you declare? I’ll copy that.

tried a couple of different ways - here is the latest I did to try and attach to Journal Header vs Journal Detail.

Here is my rouge one where I tried to do something to the Journal Detail just for the heck of it.

Hi Kristine,

I’m seeing the exact same as you. The Metadata fields are inactive and, more importantly, didn’t copy the field values into the attachment for the GLJrnHed record.

Mark W.

I’m also seeing the same thing with the JobHead or Equip table – can’t remember which at present.

I would also like to see docStar amend their code to work properly with the “Reserved for Specific Tables” checkbox in E10. This is helpful to limit the available options in drop down lists for the user, but if you have this ticked then docStar seems unable to see the doctypes correctly.

Thank you for checking. I will open a ticket with support to have them get this to development. Storing the attachments and being able to search by the metadata is a must for this to work correctly.

Kristine

Yep. The one work-around is to put the meta-data in the filename and/or description. Cheesy - and error-prone - but DocStar does do a pattern-match-find in those fields.

Mark W.

For my own curiosity, I would like to understand the testing process better for ERP-DocStar integrations. My testing mindset is kicking in here :slight_smile:

This situation may happen if dataset table on client is not named exactly the same as database table.
When you create metadata, you assosiate it with database table names. When business object returns dataset from server, its tables may be named differently. So metadata cannot be mapped.

It is not DocStar integration per se, those metadata settings were created many years ago, for sharepoint integration.

Either way we need to get this corrected so we can use the metadata for the GLJrnHed table to be able to search for documents in DocStar.

To others that may want to attach documentation to Journal Entries or other tables where metadata does not populate after setup.
Support notified me that metadata mangement is considered customization on Epicor and is not entirely certified as it was designed to map data to SharePoint. I will be submitting an enhancement request to allow for the metadata to be properly mapped to a DocStar integration. The support tech may raise one however he says in the ticket we may expect one for a future release or otherwise go to custom solutions to pay for them to assist me.