Kinetic Edge Agent Silent Install

Hello!
My company is curently starting to start the process of cutting over to Kinetic screens from the classic UI and one of the things that needs to be done is to install the Edge agent for printing. I had trouble finding any information on how or if it was possible to install Edge Agent without going to each computer to enter admin credentials for the install.

lo and behold after getting my hands on the installer, running --help in a console revealed a large list of options:

Epicor Edge Agent
Usage:

–help :: Display the list of valid options
–version :: Display product information
–unattendedmodeui :: Unattended Mode UI Default: none [none minimal minimalWithDialogs]
–optionfile :: Installation option file
–debuglevel :: Debug information level of verbosity Default: 2 [0 1 2 3 4]
–mode :: Installation mode Default: win32 [win32 unattended]
–debugtrace :: Debug filename
–installer-language
–installMode :: [localInstall serverInstall]
–agentID :: Agent ID [Default: -EdgeAgent]
–agentName :: Agent Name [Default: -EdgeAgent]
–agentLocation :: Agent Location [Default: -EdgeAgent]
–P21MiddlewareURL :: URL
–P21LicenseDomain :: License Domain or Shared Key
–allowedURL :: URL #1
–allowedURL2 :: URL #2
–allowedURL3 :: URL #3
–allowedURL4 :: URL #4
–kineticServerName :: App Server Name
–kineticAppServerURL :: App Server URL
–kineticAuthType :: Authentication Type [Basic ,Windows IdentityProvider
–kineticUsername :: User Name
–kineticPassword :: Password
–kineticClientId :: Client Id
–kineticClientSecret :: Client Secret

Armed with this list you can set the install mode to silent and and pass URL’s as parameters; Wrap all of this in an MSI and you can now deploy edge agent from the comfort of your own cube.

Hopefully this is of use to someone!

9 Likes

I think this flag also should be set to use Edge Agent to print from browser

I forgot to add that. These are the parameters I use:

--mode "unattended" 
--unattendedmodeui "none" 
--installMode "localInstall" 
--allowedURL "URL 1st" 
--allowedURL2 "URL 2nd" 
--allowedURL3 "URL 3rd"
2 Likes

allowedURLn is the APP servers URLs?

yes, the URL in upper right corner of your kinetic app

1 Like

They correlate to this screen in the installer:

2 Likes

Good to know for our upgrade this weekend. We’re still not moving to Kinetic screens yet, but that will be next…

when installing the agent it asks for local install or server install. I want to know what is the right approach.
thanks

We are Deticated Tenancy Cloud and epicor guidance is that we would need to install locally on each computer that needs to print. Server sounds like an option for on prem.

Erp has two printing options - client printing, when you print from your workstation. And network/server printing - when printing happens on some dedicated server. Before edge agent SaaS did not support server/network printing. Now it is possible to do, using edge agent network installation. (And provided that SaaS will set it up for you).

Client edge agent just helps you to print from kinetic standalone browser to the printer accessible from your workstation - similar as system monitor in smart client does.

5 Likes

Local install allows you to print from the web client on printers connected to your local device (no matter on prem and cloud). The server install is for enabling network printing from a browser specifically for cloud-based Kinetic. Previously, network printing was only available to on prem users, it is now available in the cloud as well. So you can set up printing to a server/network printer. However, this requires some additional server configuration by Epicor (Azure SignalR Service activation), so if you are interested in this option, contact your CloudOps rep to see if your server has this capability.

How do you deal with those popups that come after asking for permission to connect Epicor to qTray?

I can’t find documentation for the option file. Anyone see it? Might be nicer than passing so many command line options.

1 Like

I don’t think Installbuilder - installer that EA uses - supports such thing like option file

bat/cmd syntax

set /p commandlines=<myoptionfile.txt
setupfile.exe %commandlines%

myoptionfile.txt needs to have it all on one line with this simple parser

1 Like

Olga, if that’s true then the help shouldn’t list the option:

1 Like

interesting, i did not notice that

This is what they write:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2961982
The ‘optionfile’ command line option lets you specify installation options in a separate file. The ‘optionfile’ option is present on any installer created by InstallBuilder.

The option file should contain one line per option, using the format key=value. You can use any of the options accepted by the installer, for example:

installer-language=es
prefix=/home/bitrock/demo-1.0
mode=xwindow

The ‘optionfile’ option is very useful for testing environments. You can have several option files where you can specify different installation modes or different settings for the parameters defined in the installers.

2 Likes

Hi all,

I know this topic is old but I wanted to bring up new issue that I’ve run into. In Kinetic Cloud when doing certain actions in the new kinetic interface, such as adjusting inventory counts, screens like that only exist in the classic form so in these situations the edge agent is used as a bridge between the new forms and the old classic forms. And this new usage of the edge agent requires more options, but they haven’t been built into the exe yet. The missing options are for specifying the kinetic.exe paths that correspond to each url. So every allowedURL parameter requires a corresponding client parameter, but I can’t find that parameter unless it’s unlisted in the --help section of the edge agent exe. Ideally the options I would use would be like this:

--mode "unattended" 
--unattendedmodeui "none" 
--installMode "localInstall" 
--allowedURL "https://centralusdtpilot05.epicorsaas.com/SaaSxxxPilot" 
--allowedURL2 "https://centralusdtapp05.epicorsaas.com/SaaSxxx" 
--client "C:\Epicor\ERPDT\xxxxx-PILOT\Client\Kinetic.exe" 
--client2 "C:\Epicor\ERPDT\xxxxx-LIVE\Client\Kinetic.exe"

Just wondering if anyone has had any more luck with this? The params --client and --client2 are not valid to the installer, but maybe others exist that I don’t know about to fill this need?

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Running the program with --help shows that --clientExePath is the switch you want.