Kinetic from a browser - how to print

I am running Epicor 2021.1 from a browser - how do i get printouts (like Purchase orders) to print?

If i try printing from the Browser nothing happens. Then when i login using the SmartClient my queued up purchase order prints.

Is there a way to enable printing when using just the browser?
DaveO

I think there is an Add-In to install:

Printer setup error “Edge Printing not available now” - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

2 Likes

Generated reports/PDFs can also be downloaded/viewed from the notifications pane when just using the browser. It’s not as seamless or as efficient as the Edge Printing option but it is still not too bad for low volume report generation or testing purposes.

1 Like

There is a tool called Edge Agent that you can install on workstations. It will allow you to send a job to the printer directly.

1. Enable the Edge Agent functionality: https://kinetichelp.epicor.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059917292-Enabling-Edge-Agent-Download-for-Client-Printing
  2. Install the Edge Agent: https://kinetichelp.epicor.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051774172-Understanding-Reports

Good luck

2 Likes

Mr. Callum: Thank you for the tip. I did not realize the “Notifications” icon is essentially the system monitor. Thank you, that will work for now.

DaveO

1 Like

Downloading the Edge Agent install - gives an error.

Perhaps check to see if the installer is in the expected location on the server and that the ‘epicordata’ folder is network shared and accessible by the client machine. When I tried setting it up following the Epicor help instructions on two machines it didn’t work for me but I also didn’t spend too long trying as am happy to just use download reports via the notifications pane for my current ad-hoc development/testing reporting use cases.

The Edge Agent seems to be a very early release/version (i.e. there’s still sections incomplete on the app and the content on it is still sparse) and therefore if you don’t need it for production purposes soon, I’d probably hold off a bit on spending too long on trying to get it working, if it doesn’t work for you when following the help instructions, as I suspect there will be a few updates coming to improve/fix it.

Mr. Callum: I saw a paragraph in the Edge Printing Help doc that said Cloud customers have to submit a ticket to have their server “Edge Enabled”.

I submitted a ticket to Epicor.

Thanks for your help - The “Notification” tip will get us through for now.

Hello @DaveOlender,

Was Edge Agent Network Print enabled for you?

1 Like

Mr. Justice: I have not tried the Edge printing yet in Kinetic.

Sorry,

1 Like

Anyone know if edge printing works on a mac…?

yes, it works

1 Like

YESSS!

Thanks Olga!

Do you have a link to documentation on installing the utility @Olga ?

We are on prem.

i suppose my help link will differ from your help link because of version.
https://erphelp112200.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/5906560804493-Enabling-Edge-Agent-Download-for-Client-Printing
But just open homepage in browser, click F1, open any help link there and search for Edge Agent in the top right corner.

1 Like

Thanks Olga, and this edge agent works on prem too?

yes, it downloads from cloud CDN but works locally, you have to install it on each client.

1 Like

okay, thank you.

@Olga where are the instructions for installing it in local mode?

There’s info in the Install Guide (around p125)

It has to be enabled before it can be downloaded and you have to have admin privileges to install it.

IMHO, the Edge Client service is a move towards on-prem operations. Now there is something to install, and kept up-to-date, and it brings with it a level of security exposure since it can write to local storage. I believe that @edge (no relation) hinted that this might move to a web worker where the browser has a background thread checking for printing much like the current System Monitor running in your system tray. If they give the client Progressive Web App capabilities, then you get the web service worker automatically and potentially add some offline functionality.

1 Like