Kinetic ideas 50 idea limit frustration

@josecgomez - I did, and it got shot down twice by development. First case (CS0002993288 - Base Date Fields in Kinetic Process MRP truncates the information in those Date Fields) the ICE TOOLS Epicare Analyst submitted PRB0247179 (Application Studio will not allow the User to increase the Width of 2 Base Date Fields in Kinetic Process MRP).

Development informed me this is not a Bug, as there is no requirement that all controls allow custom sizing. However, they stated this is a fair ask, so please use Epicor Ideas to submit this Enhancement Request directly to Development.

2nd case I was told to submit it to the MRP Team. His suggestion was to personalize it. When I explained that personalizations or app studio doesnā€™t allow that, just have Dev just fix it eventually, the Epicare analyst lobbed the ball back across that wall to Dev, and they lobbed it back with ā€˜Submit an enhancement ideaā€™ (CS0003033779 - Cut Off Date field is clipped on Kinetic Process MRP form)

Itā€™s honestly now a waste of our time to submit bugs to EpiCare if thatā€™s the default response that we get. Iā€™ll spend 30-90 minutes testing in our environment, then our clean EDU database, replicate it, document steps for the EpiCare analyst to repeat on his end, and then Iā€™m told to do more work? How about Epicare or Development does it? Or maybe I can bill Epicor at $175/hr for doing their work and we get credited to use that against our maintenance invoice or Insights? :rofl:

Anyways, this is kind of forking from the Ideas topic. Maybe Ideas should create a new category of ā€˜Epicor Bugsā€™ if Development is now using that platform to track bugs because they donā€™t want to fill up their queue with PRBā€™s and make their metrics look badā€¦ Weā€™d finally be able to see all the open bugs!

6 Likes

Yeah except Iā€™m pretty sure sprints are only planned off of accepted problems so that would ensure none of these bugs get fixed. I have had the same experience multiple times. Escalating doesnā€™t help. Even getting one of the POs on the phone doesnā€™t help. They just simply refuse to accept almost anything as a bug anymore.

2 Likes

Maybe time to link in Joe Jasper or Jason Taylor, considering they own support, and ultimately, the customer experience? We canā€™t be the only onesā€¦ Youā€™d think that Epicor would want to fix Kineticā€™s issues (even small cosmetic ones) as quickly as possible. At some point Epicor wonā€™t be able to keep treating the Kinetic UI as betaā€¦

2 Likes

Well havenā€™t they already stopped fixing bugs in classic? I think that point has already come.

1 Like

There is a dedicated person at Epicor for Customer Experience and his name is Chris Warticki. He is also here on the list. (@cwarticki) Heā€™s been in that position for over three years now. He may very well have been one of the people behind Epicor Ideas, who knows? :person_shrugging: His contact info:

Email: chris.warticki@epicor.com
LinkedIn: Chris Warticki
Twitter: @cwarticki

Write up your thoughts, layout the issues, and if youā€™re like me, go and remove the emotional and/or sarcastic commentary. :wink: He isnā€™t paid to take abuse. He is there to manage the customer experience.

4 Likes

:100:

I believe at this point that Kinetic is so underdeveloped that it is a bug in its entirety. I donā€™t care about it at this point. I have tried to use it, however it is a complete waste of time at this point. Itā€™s a pointless time sink that I donā€™t have time for. Iā€™m hoping that it becomes usable before we are forced to use it.

3 Likes

Strong statement here Adam. Thanks for sharing.

I heard that in a TV reporter voice :laughing:

1 Like

Iā€™m dead, HAHA :rofl:

History is repeating itself. When Epicor left the VB client for the .NET Client, it was not well-received. This is the same .NET Client that people donā€™t want to let go of now. Expect a bumpy ride. It will be better once we get there.

From 2009: Why have you not upgraded - Yahoo Archive - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

Last November we did upgrade from Vantage 6.1 to Vantage 8.03.407. Things are working pretty much the same but I can tell you that Vantage 8.03 is about 10 times slower than 6.1. We bought a new 64-bit server with ample resources and even upgraded our network to Gigabit. Weā€™ve replace most of our desktops with new PCs. Itā€™s still WAY slower than 6.1. The interface is quite buggy too. During our implementation and training the Epicor consultants constantly said, ā€œSave and save often!ā€ They meant it.

Whatā€™s keeping us from upgrading to Epicor 9? Well weā€™ve only been on 8.03 for a short time and Iā€™ve heard Epicor 9 is even slower than this version. If thatā€™s true (we havenā€™t even tested it yet) we may never upgrade. If I throw more pain on our users they might decide to crucify me.

5 Likes

:100: x 10000.

Iā€™ve worked with Epicor since around 2006 and Iā€™ve seen support cycle from fair, to pretty bad, to good, to really good and back more than once. Sadly we seem to be on the downslope these last few years.

While there has been improvements there is still a huge gap that needs to be tightened up to put Kinetic on-par with Classic.

1 Like

Like @Mark_Wonsil said, we know they are trying. This is a difficult changeover.

It will get up to speed eventually and we will love it when it does.

The issue (and fear) I have, is the screens that are working are not very usable. When redesigning the user experience, the flow of data and how it is consumed/entered should be taken into account. So even bug free, the new UX isnā€™t there yet either.

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious when you say not very usable - do you have examples? We havenā€™t started testing the kinetic screens yet but just looking at them it seems like it will be a lot easier to navigate than the mess of tabs within tabs within more tabs that exists in classic.

1 Like

I believe the #1 complaint that I got was in the Job Tracker. I didnā€™t use it much myself, but I was told it was very hard to navigate back and forth between the tabs to get the same information you used to be able to drill down into on one tab in the classic.

Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve been in Kinetic, so I donā€™t remember all of the details.

Itā€™s going to be a change for sure and people donā€™t like change, the whole moving :cheese: and all that. Even the classic screens were many times said to be inefficient; ā€œAll the tabs and clicking plus the number of fields we donā€™t useā€¦ā€ is a pretty good summary of what I heard many times when customizing the classic forms.

The real issues Iā€™d like to see addressed in Kinetic is the bugs; Not being able to adjust field sizes to accommodate the data, bugs and missing features in Application Studio, etc.

Interesting

Do you know if any of those issues got fixed in Kinetic 2021 (it looks like you are on 10.2.400?)

Weā€™re in testing for 2021.2.x and weā€™ve ran into bugs but some are supposed to be addressed in 2022.x sometime at least if not already. Hoping weā€™ve hit bottom and the ā€œsupport swingā€ is on the upward trend

1 Like