Kinetic ideas 50 idea limit frustration

Yes, interesting. I find the Trackers the most useful screens in Kinetic. Less context menus (right clicking) to get to a lot of information:

Job Tracker in any version is a monster. I use it for sure (in classic), but I use Job Status Dashboard more often. If I am trying to figure out “what happened” – always the reason I’m in a tracker – then I’m looking for the needle in the haystack and I usually just need the data dump from Job Status.

So, remember when mobile websites were just a novelty for nerds? And we had always designed sites with the assumption that screens were at least 640 pixels wide and who on earth wants to scroll forever?

Now? Mobile sites are the norm; desktop sites are only for nerds, screens should be assumed as a maximum of 640 pixels wide and who on earth wants to click links - just let me scroll forever!

Ladies and gents, sometimes we lose the fight.

Kinetic is the future because it should be. It’s what our users want.

4 Likes

I know but ow ow ow

I couldn’t find it but Jen the Marketing Chick user replacement issue on Spiceworks

Edit: and then I did.

1 Like

I think the most important thing is to get the help system to work the same, regardless of how you access it. In K22.2, it’s a mess. You need to open help from Epicor, search for something, open it, then in the Zendesk help, search for the same term again, and get the results you expected! Why can’t the client/browser search return that and save extra steps?

The other is to make it easy for EVERY epicor user to access ELC. Don’t require yet another login that most casual Epicor users will lose in the few months between watching/learning something new. Let us access it directly from Epicor, with the Epicor login (like Zendesk does now).

I think you could still share the links, it’ll just force the reader to log-in via Epicor to see them. If I open the link in a completely different browser (e.g. Edge instead of Chrome), then I get this ‘please login from Epicor’ screen first.

Ex: https://kinetichelp222.epicor.com/hc/en-us/articles/9682931830925-Running-the-Auto-Job-Completion-Process

Oh no, not that can of worms! Or dead horse? :slight_smile: Most 6 of us here don’t have any votes available, so we can’t vote for anything new or useful without giving back our vote on something else. We can still comment on the idea at least.
(Edit - Thanks for the data below @timshuwy! I bet all 6 have commented on this thread, he he).

Thank you for coming here and asking us for ideas! We are not shy about sharing how Epicor can be improved, that’s for sure. Let’s make it the best of breed!

2 Likes

Like you, I don’t want to divert Kari’s post. However, I think the discovery methodology is quite suspect.

Give people 50 pieces of candy and many will save them like precious stones - not me mind you but many. If you said, “I’ll give you 50 more when you eat all 50…” then you would have a better view of which ideas are really important. Spreading 50 votes over 2000+ ideas cannot ever possibly measure true demand. Why 50? Why not 25? 10?

Ideation is different than backlog. Separate the two if you really want input from the users. There should be no limit to ideation. There can and should be limits to the backlog however.

One of the oldest ideas which has been in the top five for years has a status of “Gauging Interest”. If that’s the case, voting seems pointless. :person_shrugging:

Maybe we should enter ideas on the portal but not vote for anything. That would certainly stop the complaining on this topic!

:rofl:

Fin.

4 Likes

jenna fischer raise hand GIF

4 Likes

I’ve just used up the last of mine.

Kari, That thread link doesn’t work for me. Although I feel great out here!

1 Like

Sure! Can we make all ideas exempt from 50 votes, especially the bug-fix topics (which @timshuwy has done a great job of policing)? Or X# of votes per sub-category? I think you’ll find a few of us are pretty vocal in wanting to improve Epicor and will write up improvement suggestions (uhh, just 6?) and the other 2994 are busy working in Epicor for their daily lives and won’t take the time to browse ideas, let alone vote.

Mods - Can we move a few of these replies to the Ideas thread?

1 Like

I still don’t have my on premise install going so attempted to access kinetic help from epic web gets this error. Can we turn this off?

“ Please access Epicor documentation from the Help menu in your Epicor application.”

This real aggravating!

1 Like

@karihagedorn and @TriciaSymes and all other Epicor employees who brave these waters - thank you!

In really simple terms - when a specialized users asks something like, “why is Epicor suddenly asking me to buy twice as much on 30 parts”, I really don’t have somewhere to point them to for learning, that I know will engage them and actually answer their questions, and be relevant to our current version.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Epicor Learning

Failed logic. Humans are wired to not consume all available resources. Give us 100 and I bet that number over 45 would go up substantially.

6 Likes

Funny thing I’ve been preserving my votes… for when you all run out so that I can still vote on some banger features :smiley: Basically “Why vote, if 20 people already voted, I shall save my votes.”

A time will come when selling my 30 votes will earn me 50,000$

if an item has over 100 votes, it does get highlighted internally… some have suggested that we are ignoring it, but just recently, an EVP at Epicor asked why we had not addressed one of the high vote getters… our answer was that “it is in the plan” but not until this fall… originally it was scheduled for last fall, but it simply got kicked down the road because it is so big, and we were not ready to execute. BUT it is in the roadmap.
SO… all that to say… lots of votes does matter… more than 20 customers does matter. Low vote counts WILL matter in the near future, as we have an internal initiative to close old, very low count ideas (even if they are good) because nobody is interested (you can always resubmit them if you want).

You’re one of many who have said so…

1 Like

Supply and Demand Mark… if I save my votes… then a vote could potentially earn me 1000$ to the highest bidder. :smiley: I have 40 left, going once, going twice… sold to @jgiese.wci for a fortune :smiley:

I think giving everyone 200 votes is good… Because you arent really stopping anyone from voting from multiple accounts… Josh for example is the SysAdmin at his company he can just create 50 fake employees, 50 mail aliases and 50 accounts then vote with all 50.

Might as well open up.

I don’t think we can honestly know this with people admitting they are hoarding votes

It seems that not a lot of votes matter too. :thinking: This is now in the product with only 41 votes when 2022.1 released.

How is that indicated to the users?

Does “Gauging Interest” mean “on the roadmap?”

Tim, I KNOW you’re our advocate for Kinetic! :clap: We really appreciate you taking the arrows in this discussion. What is lacking is transparency. We say votes matter, but DISCOVERY suggests:

Quite frankly, I don’t think Ideas should be determined by a simple vote. Some ideas are big. Some are small. Others might take a large effort. Some affect a few companies while others are broad. A simple vote just doesn’t cover that.

What is sorely lacking is a discussion. Ideas are posted. Users preserve their limited votes. But at no time has anyone ever reached out and asked, “What business problem are you trying to solve, and how can we make this idea better for the customers and Epicor?” Ideas are often half-baked and need exploration. We have NO IDEA what happens when ideas are submitted. The one-sided conversation leads to doubt if the users are being heard at all. “Give us all your ideas” but then limited with an arbitrary “collaboration” limit of 50. :sweat:

Moreover, Epicor may come up with a solution but not the one users wanted. Epicor Ideas has the possibility to engage customers, instead it has created a wall. The friction is so high that at times it hardly seems worth the effort. As people bow out, the effort will fail.

Just like the VPs (@edge @cwarticki), we want to know how this thing works too.

Again, thank you for talking to us and improving the communication between the customers and Epicor.

4 Likes

That’s not right… Do we now need to hire lobbyists to harvest votes to push these ideas? Pay Haso for a vote?!! Make a thread here begging for more votes? It takes time out of our day to create an idea, word it properly, lobby you guys for votes, only to delete the idea?

There are a ton of great ideas that really would improve Epicor that only have a handful of votes, if any that would be lost.

Our purchasing manager asked why the HTS code was limited to x(10) characters, when SchedB was x(12). I explained we can’t increase the out of the box field size, and we’d have to put in an IDEAS request, but this is an easy one to implement, that most folks wouldn’t bother voting for.

Edit - I created Ideas #3119, but don’t have votes left. Please push it up, guys! @hkeric.wci I’ll buy you drinks at Insights! :slight_smile:

Don’t delete them, but rather mark them ‘low priority’ or something. I’m guessing someone high up doesn’t like the optics of a lot of ideas that won’t get the resources to implement.

This is a quick way to kill user engagement, IMHO.

You’re our best advocate, and I hope folks listen to what we’re saying. Thank you for what you do.

5 Likes

It sure doesn’t seem like vote counts matter. Most of the highest-voted issues are NOT showing as in development. Meanwhile plenty of ideas with 1 or even 0 votes are marked in development. I agree a simple vote count is not a good strategy anyway and most ideas must have more discussion to be fleshed out.

To that end (and because I have no votes, yet endless passion for improving Epicor) I have recently been sifting through the ideas and adding comments of support and specific reasons why an idea is desired even if I can’t vote for it. I think other people should do this too even if they are also out of votes (all 5 of you?). I don’t understand hoarding votes. You can always unvote and move your vote later. USE YOUR VOTES!!!

1 Like