Kinetic only return 200 suggestions - anyone figure out a work around

We are on 2021 (cloud), moving to 2022 later this month.
In 2021 and in 2022 you can only retrieve 200 suggestions.

Has anyone come up with a work around, besides using Classic?

1 Like

My EpicCare request
When retrieving PO Suggestions

First - there is not a choice to return all records

Second - when I select all records only the first 200 are selected (at least a warning pops up)

Follow up - Epicor doesn’t see this as an issue.

Below is the suggested resolution from EpicCare.

Thanks for your feedback about this behavior, I was making some research and this is a known intentional limitation in the new system, our Development Team has confirmed that they are working on increasing safely the unlimited record selection without having a negative performance in the application.

Please note that when you use the “select all” in the searches in kinetic, it is only going to select the records that were loaded when you clicked the select all. If you scroll down, the infinite scroll comes into play and starts loading any additional records (greater than the first 50 that are autoloaded, like the landing page).

If you need to truly select all, you need to continue to scroll to the very bottom of the list before clicking select all, and when the infinite scroll stops loading records, then you can click Select All.

However, our recommendation is for you to submit the specifics of this case as a suggestion for enhancement through Epicor Ideas.

Epicor has implemented the Epicor Ideas portal for enhancement management. This portal allows you to submit your ideas and suggestions for product enhancements, as well as keep track of submissions created by you and other Epicor users.

For more information on the Epicor Ideas portal, you can review our FAQ and our Epicor Ideas Video for the details on how the Epicor Ideas portal works.

We will proceed to mark this case as Suggested Resolution, please let us know if you have any more questions, and we will be glad to help you.

Bruce,

I understand Epicor’s point. The infinite scroll removes the “Retrieve All” button and doesn’t require the use of the Options panel.

What is your use case, i.e. why does one need to return all records in a screen?

1 Like

The company build machines. The machines may have 1,000 parts that are purchased. Several jobs are entered for the next few months in one week.
This will cause demands for many parts.
The buyer needs to bring in all of the suggestions so they can group by supplier and sort by part.
In classic, this was a basic process.
I have worked with many companies where this has been the case.
Really surprised by Epicor’s response to this issue.

4 Likes

This issue is a deficiency with Kinetic not something that should be sent to Ideas IMHO

2 Likes

Right, this is the way we’ve always done it. I imagine there was a cut and paste into Excel for a lot of these companies too. Before that, it was a report that they “just had to have” but we taught them how to use the grid in a screen. So we ask ourselves, what do they really want?

“Show me suggestions for a single supplier and sort/group by part”

Is that not possible in Kinetic? :thinking:

So I have ten suppliers that I need to pull in the suggestions one at a time?
Could do a Quick Search that defaults.
I will have to research that one - still a clunky work around

How many suppliers are the buyers writing POs for at a time?

Could do a Quick Search that defaults.
I will have to research that one - still a clunky work around

I can envision a component at the top of the screen that lets the buyer click through only the suppliers that have suggestions and then just hitting, next, next, next as they processed POs. They were probably doing something similar with the Infragistics grid using the group by in classic forms.

1 Like

This is a sticking point for our production control team too… We need to return all the results to firm un-firm MRP jobs in one shot. Our team doesn’t want to waste time scrolling and scrolling, to select and firm the list. Classic is much more efficient at the moment, and for that specific scenario, I can’t recommend moving that process over to Kinetic. Sure, it’s possible to do it, but it’s clunky and slower than before. So why should we take a step backward?

If Epicor is worried about performance, they should add a flag in AppStudio to return all rows… Similar to BAQ’s to remove the default 10,000 row limit. Let us decide.

3 Likes

If they don’t need to view them why not just create a function to firm all un-firm jobs? That’s even faster than classic. :person_shrugging:

Why not take the opportunity of the change to move a step forward?

1 Like

Sure, but it’s still Kinetic causing us to spend more time creating a customization to replace what used to be a few mouse clicks in Classic Job Status Maintenance. <Edit - Well, more than a few: Search Binoculars, Options, Return All Rows, OK, Search, Select All, OK, Firm All, Process>.

Good idea - I’ll check with ProdCtrl to see if they look into anything before they firm-all. Are you thinking this would run on a daily schedule? It couldn’t be triggered by a button within Job Status Maintenance, since the dataset returned is still limited by 200 records (50 records at a time, scrolling?).

We got scolded during our Value Exchange Workshop that we are so heavily customized that we cause our own performance slow-downs, so now we’re a bit more leery about adding more customizations.

Why bring any records to the client? I was thinking of a button on Job Status Maintenance that calls a function via REST and all the work is done at the server. Now you’re down to one mouse click. If there are certain scenarios that the planners want to exclude, you can have another function return those before running the firm up.

Server-side customizations upgrade much easier (especially when using widgets). We all got in trouble putting code into the clients all these years. We’re going through that now here, so that’s why it’s front and center for me to avoid these kinds of self-inflicted problems in the future when people ask me to make it the same as it was before. First make it the same as the old ERP system, now make it the same as the previous version, …

(The 80s reference is for @jgiese.wci…)

I often ask myself… how did I get here? Just letting the days go by I suppose?

4 Likes

I like that! I’m sure I could get the planners on board, in that case. How should this low-coder get started on figuring out that function? It could apply for @LarsonSolutions case too.

1. Do a trace
  2. Create function to replicate the trace ← That’s where I’d get stuck
  3. Add button in AppStudio to call function
  4. Win!

That was a great tour though, did you see it? Not the talking heads, David Byrne’s American Utopia tour. So cool. I don’t know if they played Detroit, but I would imagine they did.

3 Likes

Check out Site Maintenance
For MRP created jobs - use standard functionality

Auto Firm Horizon
Specifies a number of days the MRP process will monitor to create firm jobs.
The MRP process will create a firm job if:
it’s required due date < Schedule Start Date + Auto Firm Horizon

Note: If the Auto Firm Horizon is set to zero, the MRP process will only create unfirm jobs.

Unfirm Series Horizon

Specifies a number of days from the current system date (today) where unfirm jobs created by the MRP process generate with a job number that uses firm numbering (Firm Job Prefix value); indicating these jobs are ready to engineer and schedule.

Note: Any jobs generated outside of this date range use the Unfirm Job Prefix value for their numbers.

3 Likes

And the best customization is no customization, like @LarsonSolutions’s solution above.

1 Like

Set the auto firm to 1 week -
Create sales order for two different shipby dates
one within 1 week, one out two weeks.

Run MRP - see two jobs get created, one firm, one un-firm

2 Likes

For the record, this is already entered as an Idea and they have marked it was Planned.

Idea KNTC-I-2536 " Bring back Return all Rows to Kinetic Searches"

This is one of the major things that has kept us from yet adopting the Kinetic screens, so I’m very interested in all of your suggestions above for when we have to make the switch.

1 Like

I’m genuinely curious how many of these requirements are for data transfer (copy/paste)? :thinking: