Knowledge is Key

Like Tony, I have experience in other 'languages', which is big help.
Â
Initially, I learned a lot of the 4GL language from John Saad's book 'Progress-OpenEdge 10'
which has been referenced in this group.

--- On Fri, 4/16/10, Tony Hughes <thughes281@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Vantage] Knowledge is Key
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, April 16, 2010, 11:24 PM

Â

Progress 4GL is well documented, go to the progress.com site for free information on that.
I didn't learn Progress in the sense that I studied it. I already knew c, c++, pascal and visual basic, and in a broad sense, programming one language is not too different from programming another, save for different syntax. concepts are all basically the same.
I have not found the courses available on the epicor site to be very useful. to me, the few hundred you'd spend on the Tools Guide is most useful for-pay documentation they have. I have a handful of things accumulated over the years, mostly from consultants, that are really helpful, but they don't seem to be for sale or downloadable.
Other stuff includes the help desk. Like adding a table to a report data definition. Seems like a simple thing, but good luck finding it in help files. But help desk can give you a 2 page paper explaining in detail. They have a lot of papers like that.

____________ _________ _________ __
To: vantage@yahoogroups .com
Sent: Fri, April 16, 2010 3:47:33 PM
Subject: [Vantage] Knowledge is Key

I do most developments and customizations for my company in Epicor. I know I fall short in knowledge in Progress 4GL coding, which effects BPMs and procedure files possibly useful in BAM as well (I think). At least it seems to effect those functions since I always seem to need more complex actions than the default actions.

I need to beef up in All things relating to Epicor, which seems like Progress is a big part and Epicor's version of .NET VB.

So here are some of my questions:
- What knowledge is needed to develop and customize Vantage to the fullest?
- How did everyone learn Progress 4GL? Was it through books, courses, and/or hands-on?
- Is there any valuable course from Epicor beyond the basics?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

I do most developments and customizations for my company in Epicor. I know I fall short in knowledge in Progress 4GL coding, which effects BPMs and procedure files possibly useful in BAM as well (I think). At least it seems to effect those functions since I always seem to need more complex actions than the default actions.

I need to beef up in All things relating to Epicor, which seems like Progress is a big part and Epicor's version of .NET VB.

- How did everyone learn Progress 4GL? Was it through books, courses, and/or hands-on?
I second this request.

Please group help us out in getting more knowledgeable in vantage/vista.

Ephraim
Ephraim Feldman

-----Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:47:33
To: <vantage@yahoogroups.com>

Progress 4GL is well documented, go to the progress.com site for free information on that.
I didn't learn Progress in the sense that I studied it. I already knew c, c++, pascal and visual basic, and in a broad sense, programming one language is not too different from programming another, save for different syntax. concepts are all basically the same.
I have not found the courses available on the epicor site to be very useful. to me, the few hundred you'd spend on the Tools Guide is most useful for-pay documentation they have. I have a handful of things accumulated over the years, mostly from consultants, that are really helpful, but they don't seem to be for sale or downloadable.
Other stuff includes the help desk. Like adding a table to a report data definition. Seems like a simple thing, but good luck finding it in help files. But help desk can give you a 2 page paper explaining in detail. They have a lot of papers like that.

Sent: Fri, April 16, 2010 3:47:33 PM