Limitations of SaaS and MT?

Is there a good list of the limitations of SaaS and MT, as compared to on-premises(OP)?

Mostly in the format of what you can do in the application in OP, that are limited in SaaS or MT. Like: BPM’s, RDD’s Report Styles, Customizations, Menu Maintenance, BAQ’s, Dashboards, Running data fixes, Specific programs not bein accessible, etc…

Biggest one is no code allowed in BPMs/Functions. You can code in screen customizations and Configurator.

MT is a mess which is why Epicor is trying to shut it down. They are offering deep discounts to get MT onto the public cloud.

Oh! I almost forgot, no extended tables. You are back to only having a few fields on the table that you can customize. But they are the Char01, ShortChar01, Date01, etc fields.

1 Like

There isn’t a good comprehensive list. Not only that, but I think the specifics are slightly different for MT, DT, and Public Cloud.

Off the top of my head:
BPM’s: No code, blocks only.
RDD Reports: I haven’t noticed anything, besides testing being tedious. They did a little to help that but still more steps than on prem.
Customizations: Nothing limited that I know of. Can use local c# code.
Menu Maintenance: No constraints here that I know of, but I don’t have rights to menu maintaince myself so not 100% sure.
BAQs: No external BAQ’s, views, or anything that would require server access. Updatable BAQ’s work fine but I think I had to take a class before they would let me use them.
Dashboards: No limitations as far as I know.
Data Fixes: Pretty sure Epicor has to run these.

2 Likes

You don’t have all of the menus you do in non-MT. Don’t know the list off the top of my head, I just remember not being able to find some when I was looking for them.

Sorry for so many posts, but I keep on remembering things (I guess my time in MT was so horrific I tried to forget it all).

You can’t access the server at all. You can’t connect to the DB to write your own SQL queries, you are restricted to only BAQ’s.

1 Like

For configurators Client side code is mostly not restricted (they do seem to block certain things, like reflection) but you are very hamstrung when it comes to server side / method rules. Regulated to a very broken expression builder that only has a few functions. Can’t go back to edit a line above without erasing everything below it. Insanely bad.

Ohhh this is all I’ve ever known. That sounds so good.

Yes, there are some programs not included, but as far as menu security and functionality its the same.

I’m so salty about this :sweat_smile:I don’t see why moving from one server to another needs any customer input or interaction. They are switching to Azure because it benefits them, and then acting like its generous to discount the consulting hours to move you.

Also with a lack of server access: on Public Cloud (DT), where you ARE able to have extended UD fields, you ARE NOT able to regenerate the Data Model yourself, that needs a ticket to Epicor Support (which they have always been very good at getting to) and a desired timeframe.

You can’t stop/restart the Task Agent, often one of the first things used in troubleshooting (but admittedly not nearly so important as it used to be).

This is more of a personal rant/hang-up/OCD issue… but as an IT guy I’ve always considered the actual stuff stored to be MY data, and I don’t really feel comfortable having no direct access to it.

Let’s stipulate right off the bat, you cannot purchase MT anymore. MT is left over from Epicor Express. It has multiple companies in one database. Not one SQL instance, actual company database entries in a single Epicor Install. That is why it has so many restrictions. Code blocks, etc. can get around that so it’s eliminated. At one point, Epicor allowed it but reviewed all the code but that wasn’t scalable. It’s dead and not worth discussing for any new customers because they don’t sell it anymore.

DT separated the each Epicor Customer into its own database - just like on-prem. DT became Public Cloud when they moved from their own servers (at RackSpace and CyrusOne) into Azure.

And for the record, no SaaS company grants database access to their customers. Not SalesForce. Not O365. Not NetSuite. Nobody. That’s antithetical to the idea of SaaS. All of these companies, including Epicor, provide controlled methods to get to the data via REST, a framework, or some other custom connectors. It has pros and cons. If you are building a zero-trust network, having least privilege access to the servers can save your :peach: Is it inconvenient? Sure. So is MFA, and a different user for admin work, and every other best security practice.

To be continued…

2 Likes

I probably should have mentioned that I wanted to know the differences for providing support. I wouldn’t want to provide a solution that only works on on-prem, to an SaaS user.

True.

I can’t think of al cloud solution that won’t work on-prem but plenty of on-prem solutions won’t work in the cloud. :tm: