MES - Service Tab (Bug?)

In MES there is this TAB called “Service” it is always enabled, the buttons are always enabled… no matter what… in E9 and in E10…

I assumed the “Service Technician” checkbox in the Employee Entry managed that, but it looks like it doesn’t… I also tried unchecking everything from an Employee basically being able to do nothing but login into MES… still Service Tab lights up enabled…

Is this some known Epicor Bug? I replicated it on EDU too… Anyone know what is driving those buttons?

I tested this at 2 different companies (2 confirmed legal entities, same issue) one is on E9 one is on E10.
There are no Customizations or Personalizations.

1 Like

@aidacra Could I have you look into this for me if possible Nathan. In a Nutshell the Question would be? What drives the MES Service Tab Buttons to become Enabled/Disabled? (They never get disabled for me, always enabled).

I don’t see any reported bugs on this topic. As near as I can tell from some older 9.05 KBs, I suspect the intent is that it should be controlled via the Service Technician checkbox in Employee maintenance.

I’d recommend creating a support case if you haven’t already as the team that works in this area would definitely be able to speak more intelligently about this.

1 Like

Hi Haso!

Sorry for the late reply. We had to use personalization in order to hide the buttons.

Mark

[cid:image001.png@01D2C282.411AFB30]

For ayone curious the Service Technician checkbox only gives the Employee access to process “Service Jobs” it has nothing to do with the MES Tab called Service.

The Service technician Check box is for the Field Service module, when one of your Final Goods is sold and there is a Guarantee for that product and it requires service because that Guarantee this employee is allowed to work on the service job in case the piece is sent to your company for repair or in case the employee must go to the company the product is located

You do need this check box to work on a Service Job

There is no setup to restrict access to an employee on this tab, an enhancement request was added and approved for a future version to add a controller like a check box in the employee maintenance to add or remove access to these options

Right now there is no ETA when this option will be added to the system but the best option right is to customize the MES screen to make that tab not visible so when the employee goes in this tab won´t be in the screen anymore

1 Like

I have a correction, The MES Service tab is NOT for Field Service Module, it’s for the Maintenance Module. The Tab should really be named ‘Maintenance’ or something.
Look at the options on that tab, those are all Maintenance options for PM’s on Resource Equipment, not Field Service work. There are several types of Jobs that can be created in Epicor: Mfg, Project, Field Service and Maintenance.
So now in 10.2.500 I have a client that IS licensed for the Maintenance Module and NOT for Field Service and they do NOT have access to the MES Service tab and they should, so that employees can report Meter Reads on Equipment, request Service work on Equipment, and so that Maintenance Employees can process their Requests. In 10.0 and back this tab is ALWAYS available if the MAINT Module is licensed because everyone should be able to Request Service and perform these other tasks.
Somewhere along the way in 10.2 or some where the Handheld/MES Menu Security was added that seemed to then disable this tab and confused the FS & Maint License with this tab.
So now there is a bug (10.2.500+) where those who have Licensed the Maint Module cannot access this functionality in MES and instead of being able to use the cheaper MES client have to use the full client.