MRP Performance Enhancement in 2023.2

Is there somewhere I can find any documentation on the MRP Optimization to learn more about it? How to access it, how it works, etc?

There is probably no documentation on this feature yet, but if you read this thread entirely it will answer both of those direct questions.

Ours MRP went from near 3 hours to 25min.

I just completed side by side testing with 2023.2 and CR2024.1

• Same physical server
  • Same exact dataset copied from production at the same time
  • Both full regen, no cutoff date, running pegging after

2023.2 - 11 minutes
2024.1 - 4 minutes

Granted our MRP doesn’t take long in general but it’s all on a scale.

Edit: 2024.1 auto checks this box

Tested 2023.2 without that checked the first time. With it checked 2023.2 was 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Ours went from 2+ hours to 6 minutes :sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops::partying_face::confetti_ball::tada:

2 Likes

Tell me you have a system full of active parts no one wants without telling me you have a system full of active parts no one wants LOL

How to access it? It is on both the Generate PO Suggestions and Process MRP.
To get it to work, you simply need to check the box labeled “Include only POs with activity or min/safety”

Note that this checkbox is ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE BROWSER VERSION… you cannot get access to this from the old smart client screen.

What Does It Do? well… it does exactly what the label says: When you check this box, it will put one additional filter onto MRP to only look at parts that have DEMANDS (Orders, JobMtl, Transfers), or parts that have Min/Safety quantity.

WHY does this work? Well… before we enhanced the software, MRP would select ALL the parts, then, one at a time, it would examine the part to find out if it had any demands, then it would look for min/safety, and if nothing was needed, then it would go to the next line… otherwise, MRP would process… Because of the new pre-filter, it becomes much more efficient because we only need to examine parts that need examined.

END RESULTS: MRP runs faster, but returns the same suggestions.

And on this note here’s a fridea
https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/KIN-I-4765

If anyone wants to update existing tasks on 2023.2+ here is a customization layer for Process MRP you can use
WCI_ProcessMRP_v1.xml (50.6 KB)

2 Likes

Does that mean you don’t need to run MRP Recalc process for net change MRP runs anymore if you check that box? I always thought a net change MRP was basically just running parts that had a change along with updating suggestions while a regenerative MRP ran it for all parts and deleted and created new suggestions. By checking that box, does it just mean that you are now basically just running your Regenerative as a Net Change? Or am I completely misunderstanding that?

When we worked with an Epicor consultant, they told us best practice was to run MRP Recalc then Net Change Process MRP every day except once a week run a full regenerative MRP. Now with this new feature what would the new best practice look like?

In Vantage 8 and (to a lesser extent) Epicor 9, the Recalc and Net Change were frequently the only options as a Regenerative MRP run could easily take more than overnight to complete (in one company I worked at it took between 12 and 20 hours). When E10 came along and the database changed from Progress to SQL Server, MRP times decreased fairly dramatically, so that (at least in the companies I worked at) a typical Regen MRP was between 4 and 8 hours, so we would usually run it every night.

The first post in this thread describes how this new functionality differs from Net Change.

Unless you know that your typical Regenerative MRP will take longer than your overnight window, I would recommend running a full regen every night.

EDIT: I should add that there can be many other considerations around this than simply the time it takes to run. Your Mileage May Vary…

Thanks for that feedback. We are new to Epicor since 2020 and are on cadence in the cloud so have always been on the most recent version. We use to run regens every night per direction from our Epicor Consultant during implementation but within the last year we have been discouraged by Epicor Support from doing Regens every night and ours only take about 3-4 hours max. Their answer was simply “its not necessary, recommended, or best practice”. We keep getting conflicting suggestions from Epicor that we’ve struggled a bit getting our processes solidified.

I honestly don’t know if there is a “best” practice for this. Couple things I might recommend that you think about… how long does an MRP Recalc/Net Change take? How long does a full regen take? how long does a full regen with the new checkbox selected take? If a regen takes 4 hours or less, I’ll bet a Tim’s new gollywog checkbox will take that down by a significant amount… probably to right around how long the Net Change takes.

BUT… are there other considerations in your business that have a voice in this process?

I was in IT for a long time, and if I had the choice between scheduling TWO things to run (an MRP Recalc and a Net Change) and scheduling ONE thing to run (Regen), I would 100% of the time go for one.

“It Depends” and there is no “right” answer here… it all depends on many many factors. Like others mentioned… how long full regen takes in one very important factor. We had a customer where their Full REGEN took 28 hours (due to very complex BOMS and LOTS of jobs). So in their case, they “never” ran full regen, but instead only did net change. and “periodically” they would run the “net change needed” process.
When do you need to run the Net Change Needed process?.. Well, this all depends too. Net change will typically work without running it. If you run MRP, then add a new order, then run Net Change, then the net change will See the new order (This is the “Net change in orders”) and it will generate new suggestions for the part.
BUT, there are instances where a part had no “net change” yet, needs to be reanalized. For example: (sorry, this gets complex)

1. you have a BOM that is effective in the future. MRP ran but doesn’t see the future date… something happens, and you need to REPLAN due to the new effectivity date coming live. the Net Change Needed" finds those items and forces them to be a Net Change part, and replans it.
  2. you have set your MRP Date to plan out to TODAY+180… Today is 4/8/2024. 180 days from today is 10/5/2024… so nothing after that date is examined. Since no changes have happened… in will not trigger the net change flag. BUT… in 30 days, 10/5/2024 is only 150 days out, and you probably WANT to look at those items… so, the “Net change needed” will look to see if there are any demands outside of your initial planning window, and if there are, then it will set the net change flag for those items.
    ALL THAT SAID… if your world is FAST MOVING with SHORT LEADTIMES, then maybe you need “Net CHange Needed” to be run every day. Otherwise, you might be able to run it only weekly.
    If you are regularly running net change needed, and net change, then do you need a full Regen? Well… not really.
    BUT. If you run Full Regen, and it only takes 15 minutes, then why worry about any of the above. go ahead and run full regen. The new speedup feature may have replaced the need for a net change.

ONE MORE POINT: Some customers have reported that the speedup feature didn’t do as well as others. This may be due to many factors such as LOTS of parts with Min/Safety, or lots of CTO orders, or very complex BOMs. There are additional tricks. Net Change is one… another trick is to “Recycle Jobs”. This is really good to speed up the system in a very constant world where there are not lots of Engineering changes. the Recycle Jobs will make the job creation much faster, and therefore MRP will be faster.
By Combining the Recycle Jobs, and the new Speedup you might even see better results.

1 Like