Musings about Developers Numbering Schemes

It’s one of those interesting things that reminds you that the system is written by coders, who number lines of code by 10’s in case they have to squeeze something in there later. For operations (on jobs) it can be necessary if you have to add things in between. For materials, maybe not so much, but they kept the convention.

also, if the numbers in the engineering workbench won’t line up with the numbers on a job. Materials usually do (depending on the circumstance), but assembly sequences can’t with more than one level. So I wouldn’t get too hung up on making them match.

1 Like

Coders that cut their teeth on Beginner’s All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

3 Likes

I can’t tell if that’s supposed to be an insult or not? :thinking: lol.

No insult intended. Just the one language that I recall requiring line numbers.

1 Like

I think fortran did, if I remember right. That was the only coding that I had as a class, and I remember seeing it somewhere…

1 Like

Apparently Minnesota has it’s own version of fortran. (like duck duck grey duck!)

I’m an EE, so not much programming classes in my background. Only 3 classes in college. Pascal, 6502 Assembly (as part of microprocessor fundamentals class), and C(I took as an elective)

Bonus points if anyone knows what the acronym BUFFALO stands for.

My college programming background was FORTRAN, Pascal, Z-80 in college but I don’t recall this. Even when I looked up the acronym…

When I google it I get. “Big Ugly Fella”, so whatever you’re into I guess. I don’t judge. :wink:

1 Like

Development system for the Motorola 68HC11

B.it
U.ser
F.ast
F.riendly
A.id to
L.ogical
O.peration

@josecgomez - Sorry about that. I’ll try to stay on topic in the threads.

1 Like

I started it. No worries. (I also flagged it to be moved)

1 Like

I just like to make sure jose stays happy.

His time is more valuable answering real questions, than it is doing housekeeping here.

1 Like

It’s all good @Banderson requested to move it no big

That was me… Programming by Line Number… early trick learned to crash the computer:

10 rem this program will crash the computer
20 goto 20
30 end
3 Likes

OK… back on topic… Yes, the operations and materials in a BOM are auto sequenced by 10… this does have some benefits of allowing easy insertion of operations/materials. Once inserted they can be resequenced to get the spacing again if you like… (although do NOT do this if there is a product configurator attached to the BOM).
In reality, the sequence numbers values are not important. They are used, but can change when you “get details” into a job or quote.

1 Like

There was nothing more satisfying than having “Goto 260” in the middle of a program to break out of a loop and execute code.

How does one return to topic with a thread classified as “Off Topic”?

2 Likes

Well obviously, use GOSUB and RETURN instead of the spaghetti code GOTO.

1 Like

yea… the following command would ALWAYS tell you exactly what is about to happen

50 IF A$="YES" THEN GOSUB 850

Those of us that had to learn programming back in the line numbered days, and when variables were only one digit long were some hard-core programmers. (For those novices out there… the $ at the end of “A$” told you that this was a string variable as opposed to a decimal variable “A”)

1 Like

First lines of code I ever wrote:

10 PRINT "What is thy name, sir knight?"
20 INPUT N$