Need help automating refresh of BAQ data when using PowerBI

While I am a finance guy with limited technical expertise, I have managed to build some BAQs and connect them through rest API to Power BI Desktop. I can manually update the BAQ data in Power BI desktop, save and publish. I am hoping I can automate the refresh and publish part of the process. It appears I need to setup a data gateway but I don’t understand that process. Has anyone been able to successfully automate this process? To add some flavor, we have recently migrated to Epicor in the cloud. I’ve been told that we are technically Epicor SaaS DT, although that was not an option for selection when I signed up for this account. Additionally, we are on Kenetic 2023.1.10.

Welcome to the community Rich!
When I worked with PowerBI and BAQs, I found it helpful to create a limited access scope, then assign a new user to just that scope. When I setup my API key, I referenced that user/scope. I also created some Executive queries that pushed data to a Cube table so that I could maintain some historical data for timeline style reports. This worked great. Anytime the report is called, it pulls fresh data using the API and access scope user. I think I was using the PowerBI to feed some Grafana reports. It worked aright once I got everything aligned.

I didn’t get very far because PowerBI wanted us to pay for more accounts. It just wasn’t worth it.
I would love to hear what solution you come up with!

1 Like

Using Executive Queries to Store Calculated Values from a BAQ - Code Review / Sharing - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

PowerBI - oData connection doesn’t tell you when your password expired - Kinetic 202X - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

Pulling BAQ into Excel - Web API, OData, JSON? - Kinetic 202X - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

I really like the idea of the data cube and holding on to the historically pulled data. I’ll have to think through how to make that work. You used some other words I’ll have to google :grin:.

1 Like

We use the on-premise data gateway for the scheduled data refreshes. We have Epicor set up on-premise though, so I’m not exactly sure how it would work for your cloud implementation.

2 Likes

I dont use the kinetic ui yet. I still use the modern interface. I like being able to search for the form I am looking for.

Search for “User Account Security Maintenance”.
Lookup your username. If you are a Security Manager in Epicor, you should have access to most of this.

Search for “Access Scope”.
Create a new scope that only contains the BAQs you want to limit the scope to.

Search for “API Key Maintenance”.
Create a new key you will use to access the data in your scope. Add your Access Scope in there and make note of your key.

Search for “Executive Query”. It opens as Cube Maintenance.
Create a new Cube ID. Point to your BAQ.

That should get you started in all the right places. When you start automating, you will be submitting some of these cube IDs to run on a schedule. (See the bottom of the Cube form). If you have any event scheduled, they will be listed in “System Agent”. This is also where you go to create new schedules.

The whole setup is kinda confusing, but it does work! Good luck!