Taking BAQ to an Excel report

I have created a BAQ that renders desired records. I am interested in creating an excel report with these results and is automatically generated when the BAQ is run but don’t know how to make this happen. Does anyone have any clues?

You could make a BAQ Report, and when the user runs it, they select the Excel format.

When laying out the Report RDL, just have a single Tablix, with a column for each field in your BAQ.

There is also the BAQ Export process. It actually makes CSV files, which Excel can open.

Probably the most straightforward would be to make a Dashboard. If you deploy it, then the user has the option to right click in the grid and choose “Copy to Excel”

Or pull the BAQ into Excel with oData. The REST services guide has step by step instructions to pull data from a BAQ into Excel. Then you simply press refresh from the data tab in Excel to reload the data.

1 Like

That is exactly what I am looking for in this. How do I get my hands on the REST services guide? I have been told I can see this guide at https://myserver/myinstance/api/help but I don’t have anyone that can tell me what my server name that hosts Epicor is nor the instance name and being a software developer, I am too experienced in these things to determine this myself.

You can find the guide on EpicWeb.

The current version is:
Epicor REST Services v.2
You will still need to know your app server and instance. When in doubt you can look in the .sysconfig file. (Looking at the properties on your Epicor icon will show you the location of the sysconfig)

AppServerURL value=“net.tcp://Server/Instance”

The “BAQ Export Process” module does a pretty good job, easy to use too. You can also schedule the BAQ to run/export with it.

Thanks you guys for your help. I will work with the REST approach. The BAQ export process is easy and, I agree, does a good job but the users wanted an automated process that I think REST will do for me.

I accessed the REST document and found that REST is enabled in my Epicor. I have a BAQ that I would like to connect to Excel via oData. When I try to use oData in Excel by clicking the following (Data option, Get Data, From Other Sources, From oData Feed) it prompts me for a URL for my BAQ. How do I find out what this URL is? Do I need to create it somehow?

@Joel_Bailie, have a look at this REST Overview Novel

@Bart_Elia did a great job of layout the basics of getting started with REST.

Ed

The Epicor REST Services v.2 document has a step by step example of setting it up in excel.

1 Like

You guys were extremely helpful. I got my issue resolved. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this.