New 2024.1 feature - Promise Date - Progress report

:safe_harbor: Status on Idea: “Add Promise Date to Order Entry” - one feature that has been requested many times by our consulting team, and voted (55 votes) for by customers and partners is the need to have a “promise date” on the sales order. This field is to keep track of what you PROMISED, so that you can then change the Scheduled ship date to a “real” date… if you change the schedule ship date, then MRP will stop beating up everyone else for being late once you have decided that you are going to miss a shipment…
ANYWAY, we go this new field into the 2024.1 release. The Promise Date is visible on all three screens (Order Header, Order Detail, and Order Release, and works the same as the other two date fields. If you enter it at the header level, it populates the detail and release. if you change the header, it will change all matching entries in the detail and release. Other than that, there are no “teeth” in this new field. No reporting, or status checks… BUT it does give you some place to create your own performance reporting against.
(Those of you who are very observant may also notice that the tree structure is obfuscated (because it is not done). It is new and highly improved but still under development. We had many of you preview this many months ago, and got high reviews for the new direction.)

3 Likes

Well dang it! Now what will I do with my promise date field!? Glad this could finally get rolled in!

Oh the problems we cause when we respond to requests… yes, you in order to use the CORE feature, you might have some data migration to do from your old UD FIelds you added… I am not making light of this. it does cause challenges for future updates, but hopefully worth it over time.

2 Likes

Meh field adds like this are an SQL statement away from being integrated. Queries like my “Where In BpDirective/BAQ/Customization/EFX” make it super easy to find the fields and update them with the Epicor ones. Add native at will, I love em!

3 Likes

No changes to the sales order acknowledgement?

Your not alone we have maintained promise date in user fields for over 15 years. It would be nice to copy over historical information to the new fields some how. Then reset the user field like it was never there.

2 Likes

I literally renamed our SO “Need By” fields to a “contract date” on Friday (we don’t need the delivery date, not our problem). Nice for people who need to track all 3 dates though. And moving the dates over to the new “proper” field is no sweat either.

I’ll probably re-rename our NeedBy to “promise date” as we get closer to updating this version just to move things entirely to stock.

All in all, I like, even if it isn’t a huge change.

1 Like

Awesome, I was going to send my kids to college on building the ud field, bpms, and report as a customization though lol.

Great to see these real world, common sense things get built.

3 Likes

Easy to do with the DMT - we did that for our custom add by / date on Part that was added to base code.

1 Like

No, we chose to only add the field, and allow everyone choose how they will use it. If you want to have it show on the order acknowledgement, it is your choice to add it to the output. You can, if you desire, add a new Epicor Idea and if it gets enough traction, maybe we will use this in other ways as well.

@timshuwy as you are good with the promise field on the order. can you carry this great field through. to the purchase order. so we can keep track on the promised dates there also!

Right Here GIF by Sara Campbell - Savvy Music Studio

It has always been there.

1 Like

I had a purchasing group who wanted the Original Promise date, which is locked and different from the latest promise date. Might that be what @JosGreeve is asking for?

So, Like a pinky promise date :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea… what he said…
interesting, when we were on internal discussions, we actually mentioned that there IS a promise date on the PO already, but not on Sales Orders…
so… Not sure what you want @JosGreeve since it is already there… do you want two promise dates on the PO?
In any case, we need a new idea for whatever you need.
:wink:

I like to think of it as the, “the date we gave them to get the order” date. :rofl:

1 Like

@timshuwy , great work!
Had this exact requirement from one of the management team, so glad to see it targeted for 2024.1 :).

1 Like

I think I understand why he would want another date added to PO’s:

1 Like

not sure what i was thinking, i was struggling with EDI messages and i thought a promised date, over there should be fine. although i can see it’s already there.

1 Like