Non-Conformance Reason Codes

[I realize in asking this, that readers may not have any idea how/why reason codes have been configured in a particular manner in my environment]

Might anyone recognize, under specific circumstances, when a “DMR” reason code might be used during a non-conformance entry (and more importantly, where this is done) as opposed to a “Scrap” reason code?

nonconf-reasoncodes

Might anyone recognize this pattern and be willing to provide some insight/education for me?

If you open the Nonconformance that has Reason Code Part in the Nonconformance Form, what do you see in the Reason Code field?

i am not quite sure what do you mean by “when DMR might be used”, however Reason Code can be set on Reason Code Maintenance UI, depends on Reason Type, you can control where can be used, i.e. for DMR reason type same reason ID can be used under Inspection and DMR processing, it is up to you, implementing Epicor Quality Module required Users to decide many things/rules within their working environment.

1 Like

If you make a non-conformance entry, the Reason Code associated with it is a SCRAP type reason code. The system generated as STK-INS transaction. Your SCRAP
code is for documentation only. Once you part is in INSPECTION in can be failed and mover to DMR .DMR processing will use the DMR reason codes have associated GL Codes. A good reference is the E10 GL Hierarchy

What you are seeing in your BAQ are reason codes that come from failed PO receipts or failed RMA. The system automatically puts them in NONCONFORMANCE.

1 Like

@SDW:

I did a quick test to make sure I understood the flow of data as you had described it and it makes sense to me now. I performed an inspection of 50 parts off a single Receipt Entry; 40 passing and 10 failed parts on the same receipt. The database showed a new record in [Erp.NonConf] for those same exact numbers, but with a “DMR type” reason code.

Thanks for providing the clarification. That helped me out quite a bit.

1 Like

as @SDW there are two stages to deal with NCR, 1. once they moved to Inspection then 2.when failed Inspection and goes to DMR, at DMR you can accept or reject, and i suggest to use NCR type to identify NCR sources i.e. which ones is internal (operation[D]/stock[I] and which one is external (PO[P]/RMA[R]).

Hi Al.

TrnTyp is in the nonconformance table and identifies all sources of nonconformance.

yes i know, you can link the two tables and show this field, to identify each row so you can deal with it

Is there any way to link NCM (or Scrap) reason to only certain operations to be available in the MES menu where scrap is reported? We have more than 200 failure codes by now and each time the operator needs to report one specific he needs to pick on from a list 200. We have written the descriptions to be able to find the correct one and also scannable barcodes at each operation. But there seems to be no way to link failure codes to operation.

Probably should have created a new thread for this since this one is solved.

Take a look at this thread about limiting search results. ShipVia How to Inactivate - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum (epiusers.help)

Instead of of using a flag like inactivate, make the reason code descriptions start with the operation code related to the reason type:

GRIND - Over OD
GRIND - Under ID

Now in the BPM, you can limit the records by the operation by manipulating the where clause.

BAQ Search is also an opportunity here.

1 Like

Yeah probably. but this seemed also suitable.

The naming we did already but is like a workaround, but thanks for responding

Have to be honest, that’s a lot of codes for a drop down in any part of any system. When I did medical consulting, the number of diagnosis codes went from around 14000 codes to about 68000 codes in order to get “finer information” for researchers. After a few years, most of the those codes were never used because the doctors had a difficult time finding the correct one and just found one that insurance would pay. :person_shrugging:

In a perfect world, what would a non-workaround solution look like?

Well, we created a Standard Work for booking reason codes. Each operation has a guide where there is an example of as a photo of the failure, reason code, and a barcode. Barcodes can be scanned in MES to report the scrap/non-conformance with the reason code. At least the operators do not have to search for it in MES or Epicor transactions.

There could be a lot of technical solutions also, but we have a semimanual reporting at the moment. In fully automated lines there could be either scrap bins with scanners set for automation form the line.

This YouTube video shows how yo create a textbox that will Filter as You Type. I used it to prevent 20,000 parts to fill a combo.

1 Like