Order Entry screen showing {{strings.XXXX}} in stead of field names

Well that’s a new one. Ctrl-Alt-I is Windows Magnifier for “invert colors”, an accessibility feature. Did this come from Epicor Support?

Great find @utaylor!

1 Like

Yes it came from Epicor support.

We had another recurrence today during testing, I wish I had read this post before hand so I could give this a try. Thanks for posting this.

1 Like

aball can you look at your app server event logs for me? and tell me if you see a locked file error message?

@utaylor , I don’t see the locked file error. We have some other errors but I don’t see one at the right time to correlate to the {{strings.XXX}} issue we observed this morning.

I’ll dig a bit deeper if we see a recurrance.

1 Like

Bless! Thank you for checking. I was hoping we would have the same thing ;(

@aball sometimes it isn’t right when you noticed the strings thing that the error happened unless of course it changed to {{strings}} in front of your eyes. The error could be in the event viewer much earlier.

For example, my user had it happen to them as I was on the phone with them and I checked the logs and there it was, locked file.

30 minutes later a user said their screen had {{strings}} but there was no event and she said she had the screen open for a bit before she realized (cause it was in the background).

In short, would you mind scrolling through the even viewer> application logs and look for any locked file paths in the detail message?

Good point. We had the issue in Site Configuration in our test database, not one we use very often. I’ll grep through the log a bit further back.

@aball @hmwillett … I got it. If you use the smart client, open up three or more sessions and open order entry consecutively one after another as fast as you can on each session. Then watch as the {{strings}} appear!

Make sure you clear cache before doing this though. So open sales order entry on all three sessions and click Ctrl + alt + i. Then close the sales order entry screen on all three and reopen as fast as you can on all three.

It now makes sense why at insights the presenter and class were getting this…

@aball when I was at insights last year the presenter kept getting the {{strings}} issue as well. This happened in multiple sessions. My guess is since there are multiple sessions on the same subjects, or similar interests, they were all opening job entry at the same time or whatever.

@aball if you look on your app server under the drive\Epicor\Websites\appservername\Server\Apps\MetaUI\Erp.UI.JobEntry\cache\ file path for whatever form, say job entry in this case, every time you open the kinetic form after clearing you cache, a bunch of files are temporarily written to this file location and then removed… Well they use generic names when creating the files like, “strings.gerenerated.json.” Well if two people open a form at the same time and each action tries to create the same file name in the same directory, one of them will get an exception and thus cause the {{strings}} issue.

This {{strings}} isssue only happens if you are using a smart client though. The browser web form handles this exception in a different manner and doesn’t cause the {{strings}} issue.

Thanks for taking the time to document this. We haven’t seen a recurrence recently so I parked it. We’ll definitely do some testing when we have a minute. So, should be back to it in late 2025 :wink:

I know how that goes!

Is anyone else seeing this more frequently? I’m getting it every single day. Running conversion 191 is not practical when it’s happening this often.

Chris, welcome to the club.

are you cloud or on prem?

I just had it happen on Tuesday for the 10th time.

If you go to your app server chirs do you see an event viewer error for file locked or not found for the specific screen you had it happen to?

Something like this: drive\Epicor\Websites\appservername\Server\Apps\MetaUI\Erp.UI.JobEntry\cache\

This is driving me crazy…Epicor support is 0 help, we’ve been reporting this for 2 years! Happening almost daily now.
Utah, I don’t have access to the server logs - we’re SaaS. I’m referring support to this thread tho.