Order Entry screen showing {{strings.XXXX}} in stead of field names

Version is 2023.1.15

My cache has a different name convention. The GUID is at the end but it’s because it’s a personnalization for a specific user I guess

Also, you’re right I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue 100% of the time but I talked to my coworker yesterday and when I demoed the steps to him, I replicated the {{strings}} problem in that menu (No user had a personnalization at that time). Since the cache was stored with {{strings}}, every user that had the same language and same personnalization as that cache would see the {{strings}} when opening the menu

1 Like

thanks for the update @Stevensi1018, that’s interesting

Okay @vingeance @spaceage @Stevensi1018 , I updated my sysconfig, recycled the app pool, and ran conversion 191 as well after that and now I don’t have the {{Strings}} issue when I follow the replication steps I posted. BUT I still get a business error on the two other forms I open. PLease note that I have english set as a language for everyone as well- which I think setting a language is necessary to avoid the {{strings}} issue as @spaceage pointed out.

That, to me, is still worthy of a PRB right? Like we should be able to open 3 forms at once, right?

Additionally, I am still trying to get them to acknowledge the {{strings}} as a PRB so that they can assign some sort of action plan to reduce the number of people affected by it. Whether that’s setting that sysconfig parameter to false for us during conversions/upgrades, making the language field mandatory, and/or adding steps in the guides to tell us to run converstions after making personalizations/customizations… idk just something.

1 Like

Definitely. Especially since you don’t have to be logged in as the same user in those sessions to trigger the error. That (in my mind) replicates different users in the system activating the same form at the same time…not an unusual situation at all, especially at the beginning of the day.

1 Like

Also, while the {{strings}} thing is fixed, the two screens that got errors in the smart client are hosed. I can’t open that form anymore using menu search, I can’t go back to the home page, it’s like it’s all messed up. I have to close and re-open the smart client… At least the {{strings}} thing isn’t happening, but this isn’t that much better.

I found an easy fix for those who have the {{ strings.XXXX }} issue. This is not a permanent solution, but it is quicker and a lot easier than reprocessing Conversion Workbench task.

Just open Application Studio for the program having the issue. It will clear the program cache in the database for all languages.

Do note that it will only work for those who have KineticUseFileSystemNotDB flag set to FALSE.

The ( CTRL + ALT + i ) should work for those who have KineticUseFileSystemNotDB flag set to TRUE, as it deletes the MetaUI cache files.

1 Like

Wow haha nice. I was just fussing around with this again this morning.

I hopped on with support and they can’t replicate the issue using the instructions.

I was also concerned because when I set my parameter to FALSE now the ctrl + alt + i wasn’t working and I had to actually run the conversion.

I am about to open a case. I am finally able to consistently reproduce the issue in a Epicor Demo environment.

I will post here when I have feedback from Epicor.

2 Likes

Wow, congratulations. I have been trying so hard for the last 3 weeks to get something that works 100% of the time.

Update
No news from Epicor support for 3 weeks. I kindly asked, only once per week, if they could give me an update on the case. No response.

I escalated the case today.

Who could take 5 minutes to test the steps I provided to Epicor? (it does take only 5 minutes if you already have the following prerequisites).

Prerequisites :

• Epicor environment greater or equal to 2021.1.7 (below steps were done in a 2023.1.12 demo env.)
  • Microsoft Edge web browser
  • Google Chrome web browser
  • Make sure KineticUseFileSystemNotDB flag is set to FALSE (confirmed by Epicor in another case)
  • At least 2 languages installed (in this test, English United States and French Canada were used)
  1. Launch Epicor in your Microsoft Edge browser
  2. Connect using “epicor” user
  3. Click on the bottom left button (user settings)
  4. Select Company “EPIC06 | Epicor Education” and Site “Main”
  5. Select English/United States language
  6. In the Main Menu, select Service Management / Project Management / General Operations
  7. To the right of Job Entry program, click the star icon
  8. Click the Save button to add Job Entry to your favorites
  9. In the Menu, select “Favorites”, then click on Favorites folder.
  10. You should see Job Entry in your favorites. Open it (the Job Entry program).
  11. Click the top-right icon (to the right of the search icon), then select Application Studio.
  12. Application Studio should have opened in another tab. Close the tab. Note: This Application Studio step is required to clear the database cache for the Job Entry program.
  13. Launch another Epicor in your Google Chrome browser
  14. Connect using “epicor” user
  15. Click on the bottom left button (user settings)
  16. Select français/Canada language
  17. Refresh the page to make sure the language is fully loaded
  18. Note: The following steps require to be fast. Please see screenshot below. The objective is to simulate users in different languages who would open the same form at the same time. The easiest way is having your Microsoft Edge browser occupying the half-left of your screen, and the Google Chrome browser occupying the half-right of your screen. Have your Job Entry in your favorites ready.
  19. Click on the Job Entry favorites program in your Google Chrome session.
  20. As soon as possible, click on the Job Entry favorites program in your Microsoft Edge session.
  21. Problem : You will either get “Sorry, something went wrong”, or {{ strings.XXXX }}, or both issues.

1 Like

I’ll try for you no worries. Give me a moment.

sorry @vingeance I will try now.

I don’t have the language licenses needed to do your steps… I think that is another prerequisite you need to mention.

@vingeance did you ever get them to replicate this using your steps?

No. The person who was assigned to the case is the least responsive I ever had.

His last response :

I am unable to duplicate this error message using the steps provided, nor when I vary the steps to use other languages and menu items.

That is strange since the first person who responded to the case said :

Please note the Tech Team is aware of this issue, and asked any such case to be transferred to their Team to review.

1 Like

I am pretty saddened by this. Cause I saw it at insights. Like with my own eyes, and so did the 50 other people in the class. Multiple times throughout the week. so why they are not acknowledging any of it is kind of a mystery.

what’s your case?

Case CS0003992423

we got a problem issued for it: PRB0276185

Vague right now, but you did it @vingeance. We did it.

Thanks a ton to everyone who hopped on here intermittently and tried out everyone’s advice and steps to replicate.

I am hoping that maybe those out there that are dealing with this, but just going along with the data fix route and slew of “try this” suggestions that they are receiving as a recommended solution can get a true fix once and for all.

1 Like

I was just about to reply. Finally!

1 Like