Overview of how to schedule

Hello all. I’m new to the forum and to the scheduling side of e10. We implemented e10 about 100 days ago. We are trying to figure scheduling out but are struggling with certain elements. So far, we have been able to get most of the noise out of the system in terms of suggestions by setting days of demand, min/max, etc. We are firming jobs based on suggestions which is keeping us in front of demand but then for scheduling we’re printing the travelers and using our old physical scheduling board. This is obviously not the way forward.

I feel that we’re ready to start using the schedule native to Epicor but I haven’t been able to find a step by step overview/tutorial of how to go through the steps. Can any of you point me to a good website/resource?

Thanks!

I cannot remember how many months I spent on schedulling.
I think there are a few Epicor University courses available for job management and scheduling

If you want more informaiton about Scheduling, here is the Tech ref for scheduling.

https://epicweb.epicor.com/doc/Docs/Epicor10_techrefScheduling_102300.pdf#search=scheduling

In summary,

1. Define all your Resources properly, Calendar, Capability, finite, etc.
  2. Decide what scheduling type you want, backward or forward
  3. If you want to automate the schedulling process, you can use Calculate Global Scheduling Order and then run Global Scheduling.
  4. Organise the job using Scheduling board rather than Physical.
  5. Learn about locking up so that rescheduling will not shift those jobs.
4 Likes

So, the right way to give a part an estimate of how long it takes is to set times in the operations, and you can get really fancy with that.

If you are like us, that’s way too much to handle and we tend to work in days, not minutes.

A hack I figured out was to use “Receive Time” on manufactured parts as if it were lead time (on purchased parts). This accomplishes the same thing for start and due dates, in my experience.

But if you need more control, it’s going to be a lot of work.

1 Like

@Mr_B
I have posted this on EUG, and you might find it useful
Scheduling module is one of the complicated modules in Epicor, like all other IT apps/algorithms (Good In-Good Out and the vice versa ), so its successful rely on the accuracy of the input data mainly system settings, database updates, and day by day transactions, i will state few points that i found while working in this area:

1. Company / Site Configuration and maintenance must be set on the correct way to represent what you want.
  2. Scheduling Priority Code.
  3. Production Calendars for Plants and Suppliers, updating these calendars to represent holidays, over time, downtimes is essential.
  4. Shifts if applicable…to exclude the break time.
  5. Resource Groups / Resources must set correctly to represent your environment.
  6. Operations must have the correct scheduling requirement, you may need to update your history of BOO, and Open Jobs.
  7. All Parts / Part Revisions must set in the correct way to represent your environment and production method e.g. Part Type, Unit of Measure in each Transaction, Manufacturing Lot Sizes, Material Lead time, Days of supply, Receive Time, Min. On Hand, Safety Stock, etc… as well as MRP flags, BOM, BOO, with all required production and setup times and Days out of Sub.Con. operations.
  8. Demand: Stock level / all Open Jobs / Sales order / Purchase orders releases must have the correct due date (required by date in the Jobs case), as well as required Part Revisions, if your demand is changing continuously -similar to my environment- then all changes must be captured and entered to the system ASAP.
  9. A set of Process Tasks need to be scheduled to run minimum once a day, to run the MRP (PO suggestions, Job Changes suggestions), calculate Yield, Global scheduling, Scheduling priority, Scheduling Order, Job Load Restoring, and some process to update Epicor Load Graphs and Cubes…you may need to run another conversion processes one-off time to clear arrears and correct loading data.
  10. logging On/Off Job Operations, need to be correct in terms of transaction type, down time, Qty, ticking complete flag when applicable, working through the BOO in the right order and allocation.

each point of these consists details, and could require to develop Customization, BPM’s, Building BAQ’s and Dashboards to validate, create ERP working/Using procedure, Tasks and Responsibilities, Printed Reports, update and monitor your data, there are two scheduling manuals (one Std and one for advanced) available on epiweb.

Examples of screens that you can use:

• Overload Informer
• Resource Schedule Load Graph
• Site Schedule Load Graph
• Priority Despatch Report
• Shop Load Report
• Projected Sales Order Shortages
• Work Queue
• Job Scheduling Board
• Resource Scheduling Board
• Adjust Global Scheduling Order.
• Calculate Global Scheduling Order.