Please explain lead time difference for PO Suggestion

Our buyers would like to keep all the lead times in the Supplier Price List at ZERO and maintain them on the Part level. There should be an obvious question that different suppliers would have different lead times, but I assume they are aware of that already.

Currently, they are entering new Supplier Part records with 0 day lead time and tweaking the Lead Time at the Part level.

Can someone explain the difference between these two fields? PO Suggestions seems to be working at the moment, but 90% of our parts have lead time days in the Supplier Price List. If we continue there will be only 0 days.

" Used to record the normal order lead time that this vendor gives for this part. This value is represented in days. It is optional. Used in calculation of suggested order dates, as a default value in job material detail records.
"

" Used to record the normal order lead time for a Part for this Plant. This value is represented in days. It is optional. Used in calculation of suggested order dates, as a default value in job material detail records.
"

This is supposed to be a hierarchy. If there is a nonzero value in Supplier Price List for Lead Time, that gets used when PO Suggestions are created. If that value doesn’t exist (there is no Supplier Price List) or is zero, the value in the Part > Sites form will be used.

1 Like

Thank you thats what I wanted to confirm.

They would like to proceed with only entering lead time at the part > sites form. I’m not sure how i feel about that still.

That shouldn’t be a problem. Using Supplier Price List for lead time is a double-edged sword… it allows purchasers to have more control over that field (they usually are the ones doing the updating, and they rarely have Part access), but if they forget then there’s nothing there.

1 Like

There is a downside to the method you have chosen.

If your supplier lead time changes, you have to edit the method for every part that goes to them. If you use supplier price list, it’s much easier. All you have to do is edit supplier price list for their items, and the data is organized by supplier.

I would rather they use the SPL. Time for enforcement. =)

I know I’m late to this thread but it feels like the right place to add some more context and ask a question. We are (like everyone) experiencing many difficulties with supply chain. One thing I’ve been asked to do is review “actual delivery days” vs. “lead time” in the system and then make recommendations on which parts we need to update. I’ve found that a part plant record will show 25 days, for example. The supplier price list for that same part will show 100. But the PO suggestions are driving to 25 days. This seems to go against the logic described in this thread. See below for screen shot examples:

Is there anywhere else that might be influencing this calculation?

You’re not showing it in your screen shot (cut off at Forecast Time) but do you have the supplier listed in the Site?

Sorry. Yes, it’s the same supplier listed there as on the supplier price list. I think I’m figuring it out… but I’m re-running my Generate Suggestions in our Pilot environment. I think that the Supplier Parts tab Lead Time prevails over the Detail Lead Time in Supplier Price List. In this case, the Supplier Parts tab Lead Time is 0, which then forces it to use the Part Plant lead time… But I’m confirming my suspicions by re-running Generate Suggestions. Does that sound right?

2 Likes

Confirmed.