Post AR Invoice to different GL account based off product group code

Hey,

The accounting people would like to have the AR invoices automatically post to different GL accounts based off the product group code. What would be the best way to do this?

Use ProdGroup GL Controls.

Iā€™m not familiar with the financial parts of Epicor, what section of the help documents should I be looking at to figure out how to make a GL control? Or examplesā€¦

1. Launch Prod Group maintenance and load the PG you need the GL Control for

2. Select File -> New -> GL Control

3. On the GL Control \ Detail tab, Search for Type Product Group (or type the words ā€œProduct Groupā€ in for the Type)

4. Right Click in the Control Field and select Open with ā€¦ -> GL Control Entry

5. Enter a code for this GL Control. (I use the ProdCode prefixed with ā€œPG-ā€) and a Description

6. Select the Account \ List tab

7. Enter the GL accounts to use for the various contexts. (Iā€™m guessing you want SALES)

8. Save and Close GL Control Maintenance

9. Back in product Group Maint, serach for the GL Control you just created.

10. Save the PG

Thatā€™s it.

Now any time that PG is referenced by a transaction that would create SALES, the GL account in the GL Control will overrie the system default.

1 Like

Ah, but the account context they want isnā€™t on there. They want the AR contextā€¦

EDIT: The following, while correct by itself, is not related to the OPā€™s issue. The OP was interested in AR Clearing not AR Invoicing

Sales is the main Context used for AR posting.

Get your hands on the document ā€œEpicor ERP Accounts Receivable - Transaction Hierarchyā€

Hereā€™s a page from it:

1 Like

Oh, she made it sound like it posts into Sales and some ā€œAR clearing accountā€ or ā€œAR holding accountā€ (canā€™t remember the exact name) and she wanted to override the GL account for the clearing/holding account and not the sales one.

You are saying they are one and the same?

There is a AR Clearing account. It holds costs from shipments, that havenā€™t been billed yet.

That one might not be able to be PG group specific.

From the doc: ā€œInventory Transactions - Technical Reference Guideā€

• Use AR Clearing Account ā€“ Select this option when you want shipments to post from WIP to AR Clearing instead of from WIP to COS. When you invoice the shipment, the AR invoice transaction generates. However, an additional inventory transaction moves the financial amount from the AR Clearing account to the COS account. Both of these inventory transactions, WIP-AR Clearing and AR Clearing - COS, post during the Capture COS/WIP process.
    The Use AR Clearing Account check box is located on the Modules > Finance > Accounts Receivable >
    General sheet.

The GL Control Type ā€œInventory COS and WIPā€ has an override for AR Clearing:

But I donā€™t know if that can be attached to the Product Group.

the ACCTS RECV Account comes from the COMPANY AR GLC, or CUSTOMER AR GLC
NOT from the PRODUCT group
NOTE - ACCTS RECV is NOT SALES

IMO - to do (AR by PROD GOUP) you would need a posting rule change - and base it on the invoice line - and account for all other NON-product AR.
Although I donā€™t know WHY you would do that - (split the AR by product) in the first place

1 Like

I think we are treating different product lines as if they belonged to different companies. I know my pay is divided between different GL accountsā€¦

How hard is it to change the posting rules? Is that prone to breaking during updates?