PowerApps and Epicor

I have run sort of stuck on something i have been trying out. Hoping maybe someone here might be able to point out what i am doing wrong.

So I have started to play around with PowerApps and I want to have it access our Epicor to pull some simple data via REST. We are running 10.2.400.23 onprem.

I have installed a MS Gateway.

I have created a SQL connector. Works great. I can create a PowerApp that can pull data from the Epicor DB. cool but i want REST.

I have created a custom connector that uses REST to get the list of all customers from the Training environment. (https://ourserver/epicortrain10/api/v1/Erp.BO.CustomerSvc/Customers).

In the Custom Connector, i can validate it and test it. It pulls all the customers into a json object. cool!

Now for where i am stuck. I create a new PowerApp. I add the connector as a data source to the app. I create a gallery object with the datasource as the connector using the GETCUSTOMERS call.

The issue i have is that is always says 'We didn’t find any data".

This shows it can see the schema:

But i just can’t seem to get any data.

Anyone else out there created a PowerApp using the gateway to communicate with Epicor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

what does IIS log show on the server you call here? do you have this call there, what is the return http code?

Yes, this call is there:

2020-06-01 14:26:37 X.X.X.X GET /epicortrain10/api/v1/Erp.BO.CustomerSvc/Customers - 443 - X.X.X.X Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+Win64;+x64)+AppleWebKit/537.36+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/83.0.4103.61+Safari/537.36 https://us.create.powerapps.com/studio/ 200 0 0 413

Does the call uses correct company? Check Ice.SysUserFile table field CurComp for the user you log in.

I eventually did get my PowerApp to work, pulling information from Epicor via REST however I found i was not able to create the custom connector in PowerApps that would get what i needed from Epicor. As mentioned above, it was always empty. I just could not figure out why.

What i did get to work however was to first create the request and examples using Postman. I then exported the collection out of Postman and there happens to be an option in the Microsoft PowerApp environment to import a Postman collection as a custom connector.

Bingo! that worked. But, even setting up my custom connector by hand copying everything i could see from what MS did by importing the Postman collection, i still couldn’t get it to work. no idea…

So, in the end, i started to do all my work in postman and then exported the collection out and into MS to get what i needed. PowerApp created.

So what did I learn from all of this? Yes, i can create a PowerApp to pull simple information from Epicor but … doing even the simplest thing seemed very problematic, buggy, and just mind boggling confusing. I took a different route and found creating my own custom app (as mentioned here:Epicor Rest Helper (Nuget) Updated (1.1.11)) to be much simpler.

I had such high hopes for PowerApps. :disappointed:

1 Like

weird :confused:, I wonder if they have logging for that to troubleshoot.
Also I would try some smaller amount of data. probably by adding $top and $select.