Ok, I uninstalling everything (all versions CR Runtime, Epicor Client, .Net 3.5, and WSE 3.0 Runtime).
I made sure my printer was set to “default printer” and that it would actually print correctly from a web browser.
I then reinstalled everything on my Epicor 8.03 disk. This would be the client, the .Net 3.0 (which changes to 3.5), the WSE 3.0 and the CR XI R2.
I tried a print preview and it shut down my client as it has been doing. A few minutes later a message from windows said it was going to run the program in a different compatibility mode next time. I ran it again, and it works!
I had tried different compatibly modes before (setting them manually) and nothing worked. Windows set it to XP SP3 which I tired already, but whatever. Its working now.
I think the main problem was not having the printer set up prior to installing the client software.
Thanks for everybody’s help.