Purchased Part has Serial Number

Jackie,
I am running version 10.1.500.32 and I have had this same problem since 2017.
I have brought this problem to Epicor , Case # CS0000499215 and we worked on it with no results.
Epicor came up with a data fix that worked for a few of them. it was cr6838esc_10150018_sql.zip

What I have done to remedy this on my end was to create another part number adding a period on the end of it. you can’t duplicate the part since it will duplicate the problem.

1 Like

If the bug is at the UI level, a uBAQ might be able to “tweak it”. A DMT upload might work too.

Thank you so much! I have created my own case for Epicor. I will reference your case number in the hopes it sheds some light. Really appreciate your info!

1 Like

Thanks, Calvin. I am not familiar with a uBAQ, but I am going to try a DMT next. Wish me luck!

1 Like

Talk about good timing! I have to do this today, switching a part to serial-tracked. I am eager for a perfect solution!

OK I’ll take any solution.

Well, I tried using a DMT to check the Track Serial Numbers box on Part Maintenance, and I am getting an error that serial tracking cannot be set up because there are on-hand quantities for the parts. But we wiped out all the stock a few days ago, so I’m not sure what that’s about. I have created a new case, and we will see what the Epicor techs say. I will post any results here. Thanks!

Do a quick BAQ on the PartBin table for the particular part. To make sure there aren’t any offsetting qtys that net to zero.

Maybe try running the rebuild Qty’s from Part Transactions process - I think it has a “Report Only” mode so you can see if the part would even be affected.

This is borderline reckless, but one of my favorite ways to tackle a problem is:

Try to delete the part.

You never will succeed, because there are transactions. But the stack of error messages you have to pick off tend to be the same reasons that you can’t do some other thing.

Of course you only do this in TEST app with a copy from the PROD app’s DB.
:wink:

Oh, uh, sure.
:crossed_fingers:

Well I don’t know if this solves @Jackie_Braith’s problem, but I figured out my issue. Backflush must be unchecked on all sites. Once you save, it opens up the serial checkbox.

I knew that but it has been so long. I had to explain the problem to someone else in order to remember that.

I’m still working with the Epicor tech. Everything he has asked me to check or try thus far has not resolved the issue. He did send me this info which might be helpful to others . . .

Below is the list of conditions that Track Serial Numbers unable to turn on.

1. Part type is Sales Kit.
  2. Inventory, Sales and/or Purchasing UOM allow decimals.
  3. Part On hand quantity is not zero.
  4. Part has been used as a Co-Part in a job.
  5. Part has been flagged as Non-Stock and Phantom BOM in Part Maintenance.
  6. Track Multiple UOMs is checked in Part Maintenance.
  7. Backflush is checked in Part Maintenance.
1 Like

One more condition to add to the list prohibiting Serial Tracking in my last email . . . there can be no quantities in Inspection.

Then, we did indeed have a “glitch” in Epicor that was preventing us from serial tracking some parts. It appears we fixed the issue by running a couple routines in Epicor System Management \ Rebuild Processes \ Mfg/Distribution. Run Refresh PartBin QOH from PartTran for all parts. When that process is completed, run Refresh Part Quantities and Allocations.

We have had to run these processes in the past to resolve discrepancies between bin and warehouse qtys. Those discrepancies are not visible in Epicor screens, but they do appear in BAQs. It seems allocations sometimes get hung up or improperly processed/completed in Epicor, so these routines clear out any allocation errors. I guess the allocation and qty errors also interfere with turning on serial tracking.

1 Like