Question: Do you restrict Data Dictionary from user?

Please offer the current state of access to Data Dictionary in your organization… can any user use it?
Is there some rationale that would influence you to restrict access to only admin/developers?

Personally, I consider that an Admin Tool or for those users who are BAQ Creators/Advance BAQ rights.
I would not want talented users creating queries via ODBC or SQL tools or some fashion of access to be able to look at anything they want. I would keep it locked down via menu and security for specific groups.
You could restrict access by table, but why go the extra length.
Just my opinion, but if they need it they will ask, lol
Regards,
George Hicks

2 Likes

Mine is IT only, but to be honest I never really gave it much thought.

1 Like

Data dictionary doesn’t allow you do do anything, just look at the indexes of a table. This is important for people who create BAQs so that they can make better joins.
I don’t see any reason to lock it down except that it is in a menu location that is typically locked down.

2 Likes

My thinking is that the data dictionary is harmless in and of itself… if is information and helps build awareness and education to users. I have seen many times that better requests and specs come from more knowledgeable users, so my thinking is encourage that behavior of learning or at least do not hinder it. I asked the question though, to gauge whether I was missing some different perspective or angle that does need to be considered and would change or improve my perspective, and hopefully all of it for the good of the organization. Thanks for your perspectives on it regardless! It is always appreciated!

3 Likes

I’m with @visionaire. For requests, we have our users utilize Field Help in creating their requests. The same users who refuse to use Field Help would be the same ones who’d not look at Data Dictionary.

1 Like

A rationale against restricting access to the dictionary would include providing a false sense of security. And …

“Security through obscurity, is no security at all.”

1 Like

There is a distinction to be made between an implication of such, and
a reliance on it.

That’s only partially true. If that is your only security though, watch out.
Fire that guy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I appreciate these perspectives. I also think I should have mentioned that in our environment, there are teams of users with engineering, mfg, process and software development responsibilities who are trying to use data and analysis techniques and bridging sources of trust within our BI tools. I feel their pain and frustrations while just trying to provide accurate, actionable information to the rest of the organization. These are not more basic or standard users. I see no real risk in growth and knowledge of Epicor’s structure. That galactic cloud is sometimes where power users and future analysts and other stars are born - me for example.

Ok, yes that was quite relevant information. The users you describe are indeed power users and should have access to the Data Dictionary just as I’d trust them with access to BAQ Designer.

Menu Security & a Security Group is a good way to manage access. We have a “BAQ” group we assign to power users that grants them access to both the DD and BAQ Designer.