Random nonsense about grammar and other đŸ’©

Over It Reaction GIF by Women's History

A few of of mine are:

• The use of the word “irregardless”
  • When some one says “Lower the A/C”. Do you want me to lower the setpoint, so that it is even colder? Or raise the setpoint so that “less cooling” is being done?
  • “Are the windows up? It’s starting to rain.” Well, I want my house windows down, but my car windows up.

Yes., no matter how many “reoccurances” of it I hear.

Yes, thank you, it’s been bugging me, too. I almost said something. Just wasn’t in the mood to argue that day. Must have been an off day.

Yeah I read that a few weeks ago. Blew my mind.

There’s a term for this, I think, for phrases that everyone gets wrong but collectively we are all deceived. Like in Casablanca, no one ever says, “Play it again, Sam.” Nor does Darth Vader say (exactly) “Luke, I am your father.”

I honestly never knew it was ‘Saving’. I went back and edited my posts for you all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

getting back to Manufacturing concepts for a moment
 In Epicor we call production orders “Jobs”
 but in some systems they are called “Work Orders”
 but in the UK they call them “Works Orders” (with an S at the end of “work”

OK
 I had to ask
 when worksing with a customer in the UK, why they kept saying “works order” they said:
“Well
 The factory is also called the ‘Works’
 as in a set of machines or sites
 ‘The Works’
 so, a Works Order is an order for the Works.”

Language will get you sometimes.

2 Likes

The Mandela Effect. That’s what it was.

From the pinnacle of journalism, Good Housekeeping:

1 Like

The UK says that 1 + 1 is maths

Mine:

Well, they also pronounce lieutenant with an “F” sound; “leftenant”

@Doug.C I have that same pet-peeve and @Ernie’s one with the light switches.

I never understood the advantage to the “No” option
 until I had kids.

Then it hit me: cats. If you install TP like the “yes” option, a cat will unravel the roll with their paws. Also, a 1-year old human will. But not if you do it backwards. Yes, it’s backwards, i.e. wrong.

1 Like

Sorry, i couldn’t resist:

but then again:

4 Likes

Dogs + college age kids. I’ve left the dark side.

Plus with the roll coming over, it’s much easier to tape a plastic bug to the back side so I can hear them scream in the middle of the night on April 1st.

PSA: Not a funny thing to do to your spouse/partner.

1 Like

I’d rather have the “You Monster” than the “No” one any day.

It’s a holdover from a mispronunciation of French words by English speakers.
Modern day " lieu " in French, used to be " leuf ".

1 Like

I will walk through a dark hallway just to get to the other light switch so I can set it “right”

I’m convinced this is why we have lights on our phones.

Yup, I know the history, in fact I was going to copy/paste a link to the history of it.

1 Like

At the risk of offending you, we are soulmates in this regard. You are me and I am you.

There is no greater offense of language in my lifetime than the dictionary people deciding that figuratively now = literally, simply because of ignorant usage. Oh, ok, so because so many of our morons can’t get it right, let’s redefine right? Literally means LITERALLY. Figurately cannot equal literally.

This is a hill I am willing to die on.

And for the punctuation nerds, look up the correspondence that the National Apostrophe Preservation Society (NAPS) send to Albertson’s [grocery store chain] when they changed their name to Albertsons.