Remote Assistance Tools

I’ve used Zoho Assist. It does work but I find the performance to be inconsistent. We also internally use Zoho Desk. It works but is cheap software.You get what you pay for with Zoho. Jira Service Desk is my preferred service desk.

1 Like

I am not sure the infrastructure team and licensing maintains those details.

1 Like

I’ve been using the “Free” version of TeamViewer. It works really well and is easy to setup. I will probably be buying a license in the future to not be cheating their system since I’m using it more and more now and it’s no longer just for personal use.

1 Like

We operate entirely over remote desktop, so the majority of remote support is via the SHADOW function on a terminal server. This lets me see their screen and share mouse/keyboard.

In the rare case that I need to get into their home computer, I prefer AnyDesk. When there is a UAC prompt, the remote user does have to click to allow it, but I’m never not on the phone with them when doing an AnyDesk session. I prefer that it operates that way with UAC since it’s just more secure all around.

1 Like

That works great if the user is a local admin. In our case no user is a local admin on their machine. Can you see the UAC in AnyDesk?

I’ve never been in a situation where a remote user is not an admin of their home PC so I can’t really speak to that. No, you can’t see the UAC prompt on AnyDesk, the screen goes black on my end until the user clicks to accept.

For people using full workstations at the office who are not an admin on their own PC, when I am remote I go in to the company through Remote Desktop Gateway to the terminal server, then from there connect to their desktop via RDP and sign in as an admin if I need something that requires the UAC prompt. RDP handles UAC prompts without any special setup.

If your remote users are on a VPN instead of Remote Desktop, you should be able to RDP to their remote workstation from your LAN (or another PC connected to the VPN) as long as they are currently connected to the VPN, RDP hasn’t been blocked by a firewall, and routing is set up accordingly.

1 Like

UAC prompts are not blocked by TeamViewer. I’m able to raise permissions and login in with multi factor tokens and what not remotely. It’s been a life saver working from home and having this resource.