Report builder & crystal reports

Gil,
I was hired by our company (initially) to soley do report writing. You definitely need a working knowledge of RB. But as Wendy mentioned, as soon as I discovered the user-friendliness off Crystal I have primarily stuck with that - even for the most simple reports. The main reason we use RB is for reports that have to parse thousands and thousands of records (ie. like the LaborDtl table, or the PartTran table). RB is much quicker for things like that.

With that one exception, I would say that Crystal exceeds RB both in ease of use and in its power to put data where you need it. After all, it was designed by Seagate to do JUST that (and for millions of customers, I presume). You can also use Crystal to report off of Excel spreadsheets, Access databases, and hundreds of other sources (including Outlook, text files, etc.)

Report distribution is also an important issue with reports. I find the interface for RB into Vantage (Custom Report Links) and also with the Report Builder tool to be very cumbersome for users. With Crystal we use the Web Component interface. This allows all our Crystal reports to be organinzed into directories on one PC (a NT 4.0 workstation), while the end-user is able to view the report in their Internet Explorer browser. From there, the user can export the report to PDF, EXCEL, WORD, etc. They can resize by %, freeze frames, print, search, view a tree view of the data. Modifying the report requires no additional maintenance. If I create a new report, I email the user the report link, which they then click on in the email and it opens in their browser automatically. They can then save it to their "favorites" if desired and keep track of their own reports. There is also a feature whereby a user can browse all of the reports to find one that they need. (This can be turned off as well if security deems it necessary).

My Advice: Learn both tools, but learn Crystal well. You are going to need it!

Troy Funte
Liberty Electronics

----- Original Message -----
To: Vantage Users Group (E-mail)
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 7:06 PM
Subject: [Vantage] REPORT BUILDER & CRYSTAL REPORTS

Hi All,
We're in the implementation phase of Vantage 5.20. Initially we intend to use it out of the box with little or no modification of the stock standard forms, reports, etc. However, we recognize that somewhere down the track, we may need to extensively modify forms and reports and create new ones. By the volume of email in this group that relates to reports and forms, it appears that is inevitable.

We'd like to get some basic idea of when Report Builder should be used and when Crystal Reports should be used. Any opinion is welcome. Pls respond off-line if you prefer.

Thanks,

Gil Amilbangsa
Australian Healthcare Equipment
gil.amilbangsa@...

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
(2) To search through old msg's goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/links

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Hi All,
We're in the implementation phase of Vantage 5.20. Initially we intend to use it out of the box with little or no modification of the stock standard forms, reports, etc. However, we recognize that somewhere down the track, we may need to extensively modify forms and reports and create new ones. By the volume of email in this group that relates to reports and forms, it appears that is inevitable.

We'd like to get some basic idea of when Report Builder should be used and when Crystal Reports should be used. Any opinion is welcome. Pls respond off-line if you prefer.

Thanks,

Gil Amilbangsa
gil.amilbangsa@...
Gil,

We acquired Vantage back in 1996 or 95, I believe, and we didn't start to use either reporting feature until I came on board in 1999. We started using report builder to create quick and simple reports such as customers with addresses and customer groups. Once we realized the potential of creating these reports we started to create more and get a little more complicated.

We came to a point where we wanted to customize the standard forms. We bought Crystal and started modifying. Then we realized we wanted to create our own reports with Crystal because Crystal allowed for "prettier" reports than report builder. So we implemented the ODBC driver with Vantage and started creating them. Then we decided we wanted our Crystal reports to be a little more complicated and then my work really started! Now we have almost 80 RB and Crystal reports linked to the database and I keep getting requests for more.......

Wendy Bowen
Network Administrator
Schmald Tool & Die, Inc.
Burton, Michigan

Hi All,

Thanks,

Gil Amilbangsa
gil.amilbangsa@...

Gil,

I too found that crystal has a more developed back end. It is easier to
export data to excel or html than in report builder.
Be prepared, like Wendy mentioned, for a flood of requests for reports.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 7:28 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Vantage] REPORT BUILDER & CRYSTAL REPORTS

Gil,

We acquired Vantage back in 1996 or 95, I believe, and we didn't start to
use either reporting feature until I came on board in 1999. We started
using report builder to create quick and simple reports such as customers
with addresses and customer groups. Once we realized the potential of
creating these reports we started to create more and get a little more
complicated.

We came to a point where we wanted to customize the standard forms. We
bought Crystal and started modifying. Then we realized we wanted to create
our own reports with Crystal because Crystal allowed for "prettier" reports
than report builder. So we implemented the ODBC driver with Vantage and
started creating them. Then we decided we wanted our Crystal reports to be a
little more complicated and then my work really started! Now we have almost
80 RB and Crystal reports linked to the database and I keep getting requests
for more.......

Wendy Bowen
Network Administrator
Schmald Tool & Die, Inc.
Burton, Michigan

Hi All,
We're in the implementation phase of Vantage 5.20. Initially we intend to
use it out of the box with little or no modification of the stock standard
forms, reports, etc. However, we recognize that somewhere down the track, we
may need to extensively modify forms and reports and create new ones. By the
volume of email in this group that relates to reports and forms, it appears
that is inevitable.

We'd like to get some basic idea of when Report Builder should be used and
when Crystal Reports should be used. Any opinion is welcome. Pls respond
off-line if you prefer.

Thanks,

Gil Amilbangsa
gil.amilbangsa@...

Useful links for the Yahoo!Groups Vantage Board are: ( Note: You must have
already linked your email address to a yahoo id to enable access. )
(1) To access the Files Section of our Yahoo!Group for Report Builder and
Crystal Reports and other 'goodies', please goto:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/files/.
(2) To search through old msg's goto:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/messages
(3) To view links to Vendors that provide Vantage services goto:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vantage/links

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/