Reschedule, cancel or else

Hello

I am trying to explaing to the workshop managers, the importance of rescheduling jobs based on changes in demand and supply. Though i have a lot of trouble getting through to them.

I was hoping if there was someone here who could explain the consequences of not rescheduling to the correct dates, or cancel non needed jobs.
This might seem simple to explain, but i am not getting through to them.

kind regards

How are you managing capacity in your plant? Do you want the load hours to represent work that is remaining to do, or work that “should have already been done”? How do you dispatch with a ton of dates in the past?

Does your shop have a lot of delinquent jobs? Are you capturing and recording your on-time percentage for job completion? If so, what is it, and why are you missing so many planned job dates?

2 Likes

Hi Anders,

We have gotten better at this over the years, but still have ways to go. One thing that made our planners start to embrace it more (than just saying we don’t have time for this) was the absolute inability to know when you truly need a material purchased or a supply job done when jobs are not rescheduled at all. They would complain about how the system didn’t work well to let them know when something was actually due, because everything was always late based on these poorly managed job dates.

Then to top it off there’s a snowball effect where shop load is impossible to predict because job dates are bad and materials are late and there’s not enough workers and nobody can tell what is actually the limiting factor except for one guy who has his own list :weary:

Anyway, griping done, I’d tell them in order to get any accuracy in planning the company is dependent on rescheduling as a task.

PS: we put a couple of UD fields on the JobProd record so that the planners and operations could see related jobs where the job is make to inventory but is actually created to satisfy a particular need. This helps with rescheduling a set of jobs.

Nancy

2 Likes

We are not managing capacity as it is now.
We want load hours to represent work that is remaining.

We have a lot of late jobs.
No we are not capturing aand recording on time percentage for job completion.

how did you make the UD field. I have been looking for that.

i wanted to have a UD field precisely as you have it. “we put a couple of UD fields on the JobProd record so that the planners and operations could see related jobs where the job is make to inventory but is actually created to satisfy a particular need. This helps with rescheduling a set of jobs.”

How?

You have your answer.

A plant that doesn’t manage capacity is doomed to failure.
If you want load hours to represent work that is remaining, schedule your jobs (just run a global).

It sounds like you know the answers, but your managers are not supporting your initiative.

Hi Anders,

See below screenshot for details.

We have link to JobProd.ShortChar02 (and 01 for customer notation). They also like to write “stock” in SC02 if the job is to satisfy Safety Stock. I also have placed the fields on the job traveler, pick list, and a job priority dashboard. If you are on-premise getting the UD fields in there just requires a downtime to get the data model regenerated. If you are SAAS, IDK how you get those on there, but I’m sure other experts here do!

Note, on the JobProd there is a “make to job” option that we have failed to use well in our company to date. I believe our biggest problem has been with accounting on it, that cost of supply job is not right unless job financially closed and then adjustments necessary when all labor charges/materials entered on supply job :weary:. (I really would like to do more testing with this.) So for us, make to stock so far unless it’s a make to order.

Nancy

Yes
I agree with you.

Thank you.
I will try and see what i can make out of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Might want to dust off your resume.

3 Likes

How do you add in the data?
Like to see the associated job, is that a manual process or does it come from Epicor?

Hi Anders,

The planner does it manually when they firm or create the job. At this time, they generally know why they are cutting the job and it’s a good time to note it.

I have the EpiContextMenuKey as JobHead.JobNum to provide right click “open with” job search if they want to search for a job to associate. Also, have a bpm that fills in customer name from associated job if job entered is a make to order one.

Nancy

Bahaha… too bad these people are everywhere!