REST Overview Novel

Epic read, and very exciting! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Had nothing to do on the flight :wink:

1 Like

I pinned this since it will be very useful once 500 is released to the messes. Thanks @Bart_Elia

2 Likes

This is all very exciting stuff - and so much content, thanks for your effort in putting this together (not to mention the actual hard work of making it happen). Now that I buttered you up, some stupid questions:
What version does this become available on? Is it already available?
How much configuration is involved in enabling these services?

I am certain my IT team will never in a million years touch this with a stick but I sure would love to play with it. My organization is really strange - literally my IT department manager rarely responds to my calls or emails, despite Epicor being such a big priority, with me right smack in the middle of it.

Would be nice if there was a way to setup my own test environment, on a device I control so I could wave some of these fancy solutions around in their face after the fact. That said - is there a such thing as a test setup I can get access to? I have had no exposure so far to the setup and configuration of an environment. If in fact, I do have access to such a beast, is there an Epicor setup guide for dummies?

1 Like

This comes out in 10.1.500 out “soon” (it’s out in beta and deployed to the epicor cloud already)

Configuration is a checkbooks or two in the admin console

You can setup your own environment get you an install guide and an epic web account. (Your employer can give you access) and go to town

There are all the user guides and install guides

1 Like

Great found it. Now if only I had a Windows Server machine :blush: Despite all of my fancy SSDs and massive pool of RAM, I don’t have the right OS. Are those requirements actual REQUIREMENTS or just really strong suggestions? (For the sake of playing)

Btw, how do you guys get those super cool title badges? I need one that labels me as “Thread Hijacker”

1 Like

Ask and you shall receive… (Title)
Also get virtual box and install win server on it :smirk:

1 Like

Butter up not needed. This group seems to have a lot of tinkerers and people pulling things apart. Also some outside the box thinking orgs/partners. It’s marked tech preview because we want feedback. I am on another project now looking way forward but this tech or something similar is needed for it. I’d prefer to build coherent and iterative solutions everyone including myself can count on :wink:

It is in 10.1.500 and live on SaaS.
Review the docs as mentioned in the overview. It’s basically two steps
-Check the box in admin console to enable the settings in web.config
-Setup SSL in IIS
NOTE - We added documentation for using Self-Signed Certificates for SSL / HTTPS for those not willing to pick up an SSL in IIS book and try things out for free :wink:

The question on reducing barrier of entry on getting things setup is a hot topic internally with a lot of great ideas bouncing around. Stay tuned and I hope by next Insights we will have some roadmap to share.

2 Likes

If you want a group of rule breakers you came to the right place LOL you have a couple rogues in here that find new ways to make Epicor bend to their will that make Nathan cringe lol

Joshua Giese
CTO
920.437.6400 x342
Wisconsin Converting Inc.

1 Like

I’m innocent, I swear it

1 Like

Let’s Encrypt for the win!!!

I used it for my 500 REST setup works like a top no self signed needed :grin:

3 Likes

If you already are running one of https bindings it’s very simple.

The worst part is trying to understand vanilla IIS / SSL. Luckily that is generic knowledge any good IT person should either know or when they learn it it will be applicable everywhere. #NoThrowAwayKnowledge #NoSurprises

1 Like

Now that’s not what I mean, don’t get me in trouble :wink:

The whole point is reaching out to folks who go beyond the scripted help and try to apply technology in areas that even Epicor hasn’t considered. And trust me we consider a ton behind closed doors - Being able to execute on it, have it be stable, easy to migrate to, supportable all are critical aspects to things beyond oh this is cool tech. It may be but at the end of the day we need to provide you folks business value. That’s what we are supposed to be bringing to the table like any group you deal with. I could go to the farms in the area for my veggies (and do with the grand-kids) but a store is usually a little easier to do one stop shopping. We respect that and consider you folks all the time in our conversations to bring our customers forward in ways that makes sense.

1 Like

Has LetsEncrypt been added to Microsoft Trusted Root authorities?

1 Like

Yes sir! They are also cross signing so it’s valid even before it’s a direct root cert was added

1 Like

Trying to tease that apart in their docs. I really do like the MS way of adding / revoking cert authorities out of band with other services - or roll it out in Group Policy.
I don’t see LetsEncrypt or IdentTrust name in the trusted roots though. How is a client able to do third party assurance the certificate is legit?

1 Like

oh found it - DST. Nice!

Do they do better than SHA2? Digging for that

1 Like

Nope, only SHA2. Hopefully they will be using 256 soon.

1 Like

Check out their trust chain doc

Short version they have been granted a trust cert and it’s being added to the different browsers and OSes (slowly). However before that’s all done they are cross signing their cert by IdenTrust (“DST Root CA X3” Root CA) a well known root authority that is established in all(most) platforms to establish trust even without the let’s Encrypt authority being trusted directly.

Revocation works the same as any other authority and any revoked cert is revoked on both sides.

1 Like