Return material from job not enough wip

We will also be affected and this will be a showstopper for us. We are not upgrading to 2022.2 until Flex Option 2 so we are not seeing this yet. I have also created a case CS0003345771 - WIP PCID 2022.2.3 feature causing Reg WIP Return Issues and referenced the other cases I found in the post hoping the more vocal we are - it will get fixed. I am also making our CAM aware of the impact of this feature.

1 Like

Planned release to have PRB0256925 fixed in is 11.2.300. I think that translates to 2023.1. Glad I didnā€™t wait and patched it myself!

2 Likes

Sharing is caring as @MikeGross would say.

DISCLAIMER. I made the change in the BO directly because I feel very comfortable with this method and this BO. I was not going to put off our planned go live until April (2023.1). Iā€™m not altering procedure with a group of people that struggle with changes. We donā€™t utilize PCID right now which would be impacted most by ignoring this.

If you do not feel confident, DO NOT DO THIS.

JUST DO NOT DO THISā€¦ DONT DO IT, EPICOR WONT SUPPORT YOU, JUST STOP, WALK AWAY, NOā€¦ BADā€¦ STOP NOPE! NADA ā€¦ ZILTCH and definatelly do not contact @josecgomez about it cause heā€™ll laugh at you and say HELL NO!

addendum by moderator @josecgomez

@josecgomez said I canā€™t post how to fix it so sorry folks itā€™s all gone now :slight_smile:
Still ask him about DnSpy for .NET6 itā€™s really helpful but if youā€™re MT or ST youā€™re SOL

1 Like

and he is not sorry about that, the last thing you want is to take a loaded shutgun and point it squarely at your big toe.

Use salvage!

Now if you become a patronā€¦ maybe we can talk :rofl::rofl::rofl: JK

1 Like

He never said anything to me :stuck_out_tongue:

But then againā€¦ I am a Patreon GOLD Member!

Changing procedure for floor personal for a short period of time is going to float real well, just wait until 2023.1 2022.2 is a lost cause everyone. Sorry Cloud users our condolences.

2 Likes

Expert or not, but modifying BO directly, for which company paid and paying money(full epicor system), dont think this is a good idea way beter to wait for a fix and to get back fixed product for which your company paying money. No one will say thank you if you will damage entire system logicā€¦

Valid point, but Iā€™m 100% not concerned, WIP and I have a very long history. Iā€™ve been battling Epicor on the tech debt in this area for 5-6 years. By now Robert Brown has to hate seeing my name come up lol. The IssueReturn BO and I have a love/hate relationship, but I know that thing like the inside of my eyelids from years of debugging and writing BPMs to get it to work right for WIP. I have no concerns that my changes will break logic. Esp when youā€™re talking about WIP which has very little impact on the system transactionally with the exception of flushing variance. In most cases Iā€™m trying to make it so there is variance there to flush that should be there.

Also someone inexperienced can do just as much damage with a BPM as one could do modifying the BO. Code changes are code changes no matter what you have to know what you are doing.

Moving on:

Met with the product owners on this particular issue and they have made forward steps but are stuck. We are testing a BO for them no longer clears WIP when operation complete, thatā€™s working great. Where they are stuck is how to handle mtl estimate eating up all material and when you have some left over what do you do. Or if you issue 2 lots to a job and only use one, but in the reverse order you issued them, the wrong one will be in WIP to return and the other will not. These are the sticking points currently. I wouldnā€™t expect to see a fix for any of this until 2023.1 at the earliest.

3 Likes

Thank you for that. Cloud is surely in a pickle.

I wanted to point out that in some way this ā€˜changeā€™ also seems to be affecting our nonconformance process because now an inspector will also receive the same ā€˜not in WIPā€™ message with trying to inspect and write up a nonconformance on materials that have been completed as part of completing a job operation.

And itā€™s not just floor personnel. Actually the only involvement from floor personnel is probably MES completing the operation. Iā€™ve got folks from quality all the way up to material managers running into this.

SaaS users (not cloud users who host in Azure privately or single tenant at Epicor/another hosting service) are in a pickle.

Epicor Sales Reps and the PMs may need the condolences though. Having a not-fully vetted feature make it into production is the biggest fear customers have with going to SaaS.

2 Likes

This impacts all WIP every WIP transaction runs through this same method updatePartWIP. Itā€™s basically the ā€œOne Ringā€ of WIP

Yes indeed. I used cloud as Epicorā„¢ Cloud LOL. If you run your own cloud instance then youā€™re on-someone-elses-prem :smiley:

1 Like

I understand and Iā€™m not saying youā€™re doing something wrong, Iā€™m just saying that you should be carefull not to push to experiment with gross changes to the system logic, especially for a newbie like me who doesnā€™t fully understand how this method works. and programming, but may repeat the scripts they see, especially when pressured by their employer. in which case there is always the possibility of trouble

Itā€™s mostly for the sake of science that I shared it at all. That level of diagnosis helps me help Epicor with better overall solutions. And even if you never went to production with such things I would encourage everyone to dabble in them.

I put several pretty bold disclaimers in the post response just for that group :slightly_smiling_face:

I certainly wouldnā€™t encourage anyone to make a change like this without pause, but certainly understanding the system inside and out will make you a more valuable and well rounded asset in any environment. Kicking the tires on stuff like this is a great way to learn a lot quickly. Never has to go to production though. I have dozens of proofs of concepts in our local git all in the sake of education and understanding.

2 Likes

A kitten dies every time someone says cloud when they mean SaaS.

1 Like

Firmly agree as a cloud user. Most certainly not SaaS. Sorry not sorry. You can buy my SaaS products though! :slight_smile:

That BO issue is certainly a tough one to create a near-universal solution to meet most business cases. Glad to have the flexibility as ā€œon-premā€.

Confirmed with Epicor this morning, they are working on this issue as well @Michael_Ramsey

5 Likes

Excellent. Thank you so much for that. I had just updated our Case with details on the Nonconformance scenario. It will really make you shake your head.

Confirming @Michael_Ramsey experienceā€™s with Nonconformance. We discovered the issue a week or so ago when trying to enter an Operation Nonconformance. Opened an EpicCare case and went back and forth for over a week. Also discovered that Operation WIP is only created by Shop MES. It canā€™t be Time and Expense entered or imported. Weā€™re an Advanced MES (Mattec) user. We have 50 machines that are collecting operation data. That data is then imported into ERP every hour. We no longer can enter Operation Nonconformance against those jobs. Itā€™s hard to think we have to wait till 2023.1 for it to be fixed.

1 Like

This has been the case forever, and though itā€™s a sticking point Iā€™ve fought for some time. At a minimum we need to be able to just Adjust WIP at the assembly level for finished products to bridge this gap and I believe that is in the works at this time, but I canā€™t confirm.

After working through this with their team I donā€™t think it will be 2023.1 before we see some relief here Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™ll get it in a patch release between now and then. After dev, QA, and user testing I canā€™t say when but I think sooner rather than later.