Return material from job not enough wip

Make sure you open a ticket and add pressure. (if you haven’t)

You wouldn’t want to do the job adjustment unless it doesn’t adjust cost. Otherwise you would be double dipping on the cost removal using job rec to salvage and job adjustment together. I think right now safest course of action is job adjust and quantity adjust to keep the books “cleaner”

Already opened the ticket.

ok Joshua

Wondering if anyone issues material after an operation is complete and if this is also affected.

Affected

Here is how we are dealing with it:

1. We put a data directive on JobOper. When JobOper.OpComplete is changing from False to True then set JobOper.OpComplete to False.

That Complete flag is really what triggers the WIP flush. This data directive seems to effectively prevent the flushing of the RM WIP so that we can return materials. The directive triggers for everyone except the user on our scheduled Job Auto Complete process. The Job Auto Complete process does change the ops to Complete.

1. To clean up the old stuff that has already been flushed we use a Quantity adjustment.

We have a reason code called “Production reporting error” which has GL mapping to give us a favorable Job variance offsetting the unfavorable from the over-issued material left on the job. we type the job number into the reference field.

4 Likes

Meaning you cannot issue material after an op is completed? Or can you only issue an amout that makes sense based on the qty reported for the operation?

We will also be affected and this will be a showstopper for us. We are not upgrading to 2022.2 until Flex Option 2 so we are not seeing this yet. I have also created a case CS0003345771 - WIP PCID 2022.2.3 feature causing Reg WIP Return Issues and referenced the other cases I found in the post hoping the more vocal we are - it will get fixed. I am also making our CAM aware of the impact of this feature.

1 Like

Planned release to have PRB0256925 fixed in is 11.2.300. I think that translates to 2023.1. Glad I didn’t wait and patched it myself!

2 Likes

Sharing is caring as @MikeGross would say.

DISCLAIMER. I made the change in the BO directly because I feel very comfortable with this method and this BO. I was not going to put off our planned go live until April (2023.1). I’m not altering procedure with a group of people that struggle with changes. We don’t utilize PCID right now which would be impacted most by ignoring this.

If you do not feel confident, DO NOT DO THIS.

JUST DO NOT DO THIS… DONT DO IT, EPICOR WONT SUPPORT YOU, JUST STOP, WALK AWAY, NO… BAD… STOP NOPE! NADA … ZILTCH and definatelly do not contact @josecgomez about it cause he’ll laugh at you and say HELL NO!

addendum by moderator @josecgomez

@josecgomez said I can’t post how to fix it so sorry folks it’s all gone now :slight_smile:
Still ask him about DnSpy for .NET6 it’s really helpful but if you’re MT or ST you’re SOL

1 Like

and he is not sorry about that, the last thing you want is to take a loaded shutgun and point it squarely at your big toe.

Use salvage!

Now if you become a patron… maybe we can talk :rofl::rofl::rofl: JK

1 Like

He never said anything to me :stuck_out_tongue:

But then again… I am a Patreon GOLD Member!

Changing procedure for floor personal for a short period of time is going to float real well, just wait until 2023.1 2022.2 is a lost cause everyone. Sorry Cloud users our condolences.

2 Likes

Expert or not, but modifying BO directly, for which company paid and paying money(full epicor system), dont think this is a good idea way beter to wait for a fix and to get back fixed product for which your company paying money. No one will say thank you if you will damage entire system logic…

Valid point, but I’m 100% not concerned, WIP and I have a very long history. I’ve been battling Epicor on the tech debt in this area for 5-6 years. By now Robert Brown has to hate seeing my name come up lol. The IssueReturn BO and I have a love/hate relationship, but I know that thing like the inside of my eyelids from years of debugging and writing BPMs to get it to work right for WIP. I have no concerns that my changes will break logic. Esp when you’re talking about WIP which has very little impact on the system transactionally with the exception of flushing variance. In most cases I’m trying to make it so there is variance there to flush that should be there.

Also someone inexperienced can do just as much damage with a BPM as one could do modifying the BO. Code changes are code changes no matter what you have to know what you are doing.

Moving on:

Met with the product owners on this particular issue and they have made forward steps but are stuck. We are testing a BO for them no longer clears WIP when operation complete, that’s working great. Where they are stuck is how to handle mtl estimate eating up all material and when you have some left over what do you do. Or if you issue 2 lots to a job and only use one, but in the reverse order you issued them, the wrong one will be in WIP to return and the other will not. These are the sticking points currently. I wouldn’t expect to see a fix for any of this until 2023.1 at the earliest.

3 Likes

Thank you for that. Cloud is surely in a pickle.

I wanted to point out that in some way this ‘change’ also seems to be affecting our nonconformance process because now an inspector will also receive the same ‘not in WIP’ message with trying to inspect and write up a nonconformance on materials that have been completed as part of completing a job operation.

And it’s not just floor personnel. Actually the only involvement from floor personnel is probably MES completing the operation. I’ve got folks from quality all the way up to material managers running into this.

SaaS users (not cloud users who host in Azure privately or single tenant at Epicor/another hosting service) are in a pickle.

Epicor Sales Reps and the PMs may need the condolences though. Having a not-fully vetted feature make it into production is the biggest fear customers have with going to SaaS.

2 Likes

This impacts all WIP every WIP transaction runs through this same method updatePartWIP. It’s basically the “One Ring” of WIP

Yes indeed. I used cloud as Epicor™ Cloud LOL. If you run your own cloud instance then you’re on-someone-elses-prem :smiley:

1 Like