Schedule by "Ship By", keep vision of "Need By" dates

Hi,
I’ve done some searching, but not spotted anything that matches, so hope I’m not repeating anything here.

I run a system using long term customer schedules. Demand has a need by date and a ship by date, that is typically earlier. MRP backwards schedules to generate a job and material schedule based on these ship by dates, which all works fine and as we want it to.

If, (for instance) there is a delay in supply of material, the material and job dates will be forward scheduled from the date of the expected material supply, to give the ship by date by when we expect to supply the customer (now later than the need by date). MRP is still aligned and maintains the plan correctly, but visibility can be lost in the job and material schedule, of when things are needed to satisfy the need by date of the customer. The process relies on communication and manual maintenance of additional date fields at the moment, which is fallible and can mean the focus on improving dates is lost.

Does anyone know of any standard way to retain visibility of the need by date through the backed off job and material schedules?

I expect the calculation could be achieved through a BAQ and routine DMT, or BPM (if the overhead is worth it), but I’d like to know the inbuilt functionality is exhausted first.

Thanks
Sam

@Sam_Jowett Welcome. Standard not yet, but they are adding promise dates to sales orders.

We added an original date to sales orders and to jobs to maintain the original need date visibility for those occasions when we can complete earlier than currently scheduled and still ship closer to what the customer wanted.

1 Like

Thanks Greg,

As I’ve thought through it some more, I’ve come to the conclusion that it might be difficult in our system as we run a make to stock plan.
We already populate a date field in PORel, with the due date at the point of firming, and job required date does the same automatically, when the job is firmed. I suspect our solution will be to control the management of these fields, so they’re only changed in the exceptional circumstance that a customer need by date changes. It would then be the responsibility of an authorised planner/buyer to drill through the BoM and update the JobHead and PORel fields accordingly…

If anyone has a more elegant solution however, I’d be very interested,

Thanks
Sam

1 Like