Series 1 EpiSode 2: Automation Studio

… ** NM - Just assume connections are the same deal as current tool **
Makes it tough for me.

1 Like

Possibly, but that’s just part of the gig. If the benefits outweigh the costs then it’s worth doing even if it’s painful.

Like tech debt. I have a lot of stuff that works just fine, but is it old yes
Does it work the best it could anymore no.
Does it need to be rewritten and do I not want to, yes

BUT it does still serve its purpose. Did Epicor work on Progress sure, worked just fine. But for the greater good Epicor uplifted the stack. We could still be on Progress and it would still function just the same, but what are the inherited benefits of the switch. That’s what you need to closely evaluate. If Workato only replaces what you have and the price is the same or higher well then there’s no ROI, but even if it costs more but you get benefits X,Y,Z then it’s still something worth looking at.

2 Likes

A Connector to a system. System is the operative word.

Epicor → Production +250
Sales Force → +250
etc.

Each one of these is a connector. You can run unlimited integrations per connector, but each is $250/mo per active Connection

1 Like

correction

1 Like

Okay that didn’t come across as clear as it could have been. you can use Any connector you’d like but they charge per Connection that is an Active connector that is connected to an endpoint

So let’s try again

Epicor (is a connector)
Sales force (is a connector)

Those connectors by themselves don’t cost anything extra. But when you make a recipe and you connect your Epicor connector to your “Test” system that counts as 1 connection (+$250)

Then when you connect your Sales Force Connector to your Sales Force Instance that counts as 1 Connection (+250)

So an integration between Epicor and Sales force will run you 250+250 for the LIVE Production Recipe

The test environment you can play at and as far as I know they do’nt charge per connection there they just limit the transactions to test transactions.

Hopefully that makes things more clear.

3 Likes

Thanks Jose for your patience and for defining the costs.

I’d really have to understand a couple more things and would want to engage directly with Tim on if there is a way to make it work.

I’m not sure this is the correct venue at this juncture.

I’ll probably open up a separate post on a couple of applications I’ve done utilizing this type of tech which I’d love to collaborate with someone on to recreate in Workmato - assuming it provides a good ROI for them.

2 Likes

Is anyone using Automation Studio with Salesforce in production yet? We are looking at replacing Jitterbit with Automation Studio. Epicor doesn’t have record of anyone it in production yet with Salesforce. They are all still in the implementation phase. There is some concern from company leadership that Epicor doesn’t have anyone using this yet in production. I know it’s relatively new yet and integrations like that take time. So I wasn’t too surprised that Epicor didn’t have any refences of someone using it in production. Epicor would have no way of knowing they are unless they’ve worked with them though professional services.

1 Like

Yes there are multiple companies using it in production. in fact, someone on this video has it live. :wink:

2 Likes

I saw a post about “Automation Studio On-Premise Agent”, is this billed over and above the connector on a monthly bases?

Was on a call yesterday with our account manager talking about Automaton Studio. It was said that the agent to interact locally was another connection/monthly charge.

Sorry for not getting this, so if I only want to automate within my on-prem Epicor I would need both the “Automation Studio On-Premise Agent” and a “Automation Studio Connection” or is the “Automation Studio Connection” only need if I want to connect to an external program like Salesforce or Smartsheet?

We are looking at using it for syncing Epicor to SF. We’d need two connectors for that. One for the Epicor connection and one for SF. If we wanted to interact with something else locally that would be a third connector. At least that’s how it was explained and quoted for us. So if you’re just using it within Epicor I think you’d only need one connector. @timshuwy would know for sure. I’m just going off what we’ve been working with Epicor on.

the On Prem Agent (OPA) is used for TWO things:

1. if you are behind a firewall, and you are not willing to whitelist Workato IP Addresses, you need the OPA to be behind your firewall to let you into Kinetic.
  2. if you want to access a file folder to monitor for changes in files on your server (excel files, text files, etc) you will also need an OPA.
    you do NOT need an OPA if you whitelist workato.
    you DO need a CONNECTION to Kinetic even if you have the OPA
    You DO need a second connection to access a file folder… the “Files” connector is separate.

The number of Connections you need is best described as the “number of authenticated connections” you are connecting to. Kinetic is one, Salesforce is one, Mail Chimp is one, MSOutlook in one. If you have two different Kinetic Production accounts (one in US and one in Europe) then this is TWO Connections.

2 Likes

Thanks @timshuwy , much clearer now.

1 Like

Tim, is it still the case that I DO NOT need OPA if I whitelist workato and do not access any file folders? I’m only looking at Kinetic as a connection. I am on 2022.2.21 and heard at Insights that there may be a bug that actually makes it necessary to have the OPA?

no need for the OPA if all you are doing is accessing Kinetic AS LONG AS you whitelist the Workato IP addresses.

Last question @timshuwy , :grin: And I will still be able to approve PO’s using email without the OPA?

1 Like

No Opa needed for po approval. If you use the Workato email tool, you only need to have one connection into Epicor. If you want to send via MS Outlook or Googles Gmail, then you need a second connector.

Tim what’s the minimum contract for workato? 3 years?

Also, are we allowed to do a recipe that doesn’t involve Epicor? Like Salesforce to Excel?