Server Execution Time

I need to pick some bigger brains here… I have tried everything I can think of and just don’t understand what the problem is. I will try to get straight into it.

Issue: Epicor just randomly slowed WAY down. It is taking FOREVER to open applications, enter new parts, or do anything.

Who does it impact: As of right now I only know of 2 people who are experiencing this.

Interesting Detail: User can log into Epicor on another computer and the issue does not exist.

Note: Computer has 64G RAM, i7 processor, and a Quadro P4000… All up-to-date, so computer capability can’t be the issue.

Other Information: I ran a trace log to see execution and duration times compared to last year… However, I am not really sure what this information gives me… I am thinking that communication with our server seems to be a LOT slower being the results today are about 5X what it was back in 2020. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can get this fixed??? Usually I can enter 10-15 parts an hour, but now I am LUCKY if I can do 5… Maybe I am looking in the wrong location and these numbers are fine… Any ideas… :pray: :cold_sweat: :confounded:

TraceData 2020:

Ice.Proxy.BO.DashBoardImpl
GetDashboardVersionInTenant
net.tcp://tidc40/E10Prod/
System.String
3/20/2020 09:36:37:8385843 AM

TraceData2021:

Ice.Proxy.BO.DashBoardImpl
GetDashboardVersionInTenant
net.tcp://tidc40/E10Prod/
System.String
03/17/2021 09:39:15:5027151 AM

1 Like

This sounds to me like the Windows Update issue that a lot of us are experiencing…can you check the system to see if it has any of the updates mentioned in the thread below. If so, you might want to try removing them and see if that fixes the speed of Epicor for your two users.

I thought that might have caused it, so I reverted back to my previous build of Windows. Those updates mentioned no longer exist on the devices, however the issue still remains.

If your users can sign onto another machine and not experience the issue then it’s definitely pointing to that PC as the source of the issue. I would research those specific machines more closely and compare them to machines that do not have an issue and see if you can identify a software difference between the two. I highly doubt it’s a hardware issue/limitation.

If you haven’t, block those offending updates to make sure they aren’t re-installing before you get a chance to test the performance on one of those machines, because this really sounds familiar to the issues reported by those updates.

1 Like

This def points to that Windows Update issue particularly if it works in one PC but not another. Unless you are having weird network jitter on this box.

Can you login as a different user on that box? Same issue?

Replace network cable, check the switch that port connects to etc.

See that’s where it gets super confusing. The problem just happened.
Person 1. They are the first person to experience the issue. Initailly the problem was the computer was overheating and crashing (very common issue with this computer). Needed to update the computer to run Solidworks better. Uninstalled the problematic updates and issue still remains. They have not installed any new programs.

Person 2. They got the issue a week after person 1. They ran the Windows update and based on the issues others were having, I reverted the computer back to the previous build hoping that would resolve the issue. I checked all the updates that are installed on the machine and none of which are the ones listed above.

Both users are on Windows 10 and Epicor 10. 1 Clients. We have several other people running exactly the same and they are not having these same issues. I am baffled. :thinking:

Do they have the more recent march updates?

The bigger question is are they version 1909 W10 or 2004 20H2? 1909 has a different KB number, and only the March update for that version is slowing Epicor. 2004 and 20H2 both Feb and March are hurting it.

W10 1909 watch for KB5000808 (March 2021)
W10 2004&20H2 watch for KB4601319 (Feb 2021) and KB5000802 (March 2021)

Network jitter… Like this?
or more like this?

If anyone logs into Epicor on these two laptops, they will experience the issue. If they log back into their laptops, everything is fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Epicor as well to see if maybe something got corrupted or changed… Nothing worked -.-

Yes they do. Are you going to suggest uninstalling all March updates?

See @FTI-SeniorAdmin comment above. but yeah the march update has different numbers that could be affecting it.

Are these two boxes on the same switch?

Bingo! I have that one! However, my windows is version 20H2.

What do you mean by switch?

Network Switch.

I am not really sure. Right now they are using VPN’s and docks when in office. As for the switch ports that are connected to server wise, I don’t know. Is there an easy way to check?

W10 2004 and 20H2 are one in the same for the update problem, both the Feb and March update KILL performance. Get rid of KB5000802 and then KB4601319 that will most likely take it’s place. Last security update you want to see is KB4598242, aka January 2021.

You must also follow up with blocking the now March update using Windows Update Show Hide application you can download from MajorGeeks.com I’m unable to find it available from Microsoft anymore.

Hmmm. Well I removed the KB5000802, but I never saw KB4601319 or KB4598242…
Sorry for the delay reply, I was suck in a update cycle…

My Windows updates show these:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Its back. Epicor is back to its old self!!

Everyone who helped guide me through this, Thank you SO much. :partying_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

That’s an interesting observation. I wonder if it’s different with version 20H2. I only have 2004 or older builds in my environment so I can’t be certain which update would remain after removing both KB4601319 and KB5000802

Make sure you’ve blocked the offending March update otherwise it will just re-install since it’s a mandatory update.