Sudden drop Epicor speed caused by Microsoft Updates -> (KB4601319, KB5000802, KB5000808,KB4601382,KB4601383) +

It has seemed to be consistent with the Windows monthly Security patches that have been causing the issue, But I can’t speak for everyone.

2 Likes

and most of the security patches cannot be uninstalled.

I actually just checked and looks like all my normal “test” workstations for this issue don’t even want to pull these dynamic updates, so maybe they don’t really apply to our environment for whatever reason.

Has anyone performed testing with kb5001649 yet? Just curious if this has helped anyone or if the same performance issues still exist.

Found this post 2 weeks too late. We just moved to the shared cloud environment and have been having all kinds of performance issues. Feel like I’m chasing a ghost.

So far, in addition to the updates Epicor has made us aware of: 4601318, 4601319, 4601383, 4601050, and 5000808, we’ve also found that 5000802, 5000822, 5000859, 4601055, and 4601554 to be an issue.

Potentially there are more, these are just the ones that have been uninstalled one by one to resolve. Most did not have many of them, but even just one causes the issue.

I have not read every single post here because there are so many, but for anyone having issues uninstalling from the Uninstall Updates screen, have you tried from the command prompt?

wusa /uninstall /kb:4601319

1 Like

Not sure if this article could possibly help anyone with uninstalling the KBs?

I’ve used #3 - Advanced Startup (be careful with this one and the options you select)

Ben, the Microsoft Catalogue says that KB5001649 replaces KB5000802, and when we tried 1649 it caused it to be slow.

How goes the testing of the fix preview from Microsoft?

Thanks for the feedback Ken. I only have one user testing KB5001649 and they believe it is still slow as well.

Testing was successful. We did see a reduction in load time on the sample of larger forms we tested (around 26% or 2.53 seconds on average). Your mileage may vary depending on the system this is being tested on of course.

We have shared these measurements with Microsoft and are currently awaiting a timeline from them on when they expect to release this. I have no information on that yet.

6 Likes

Just to clarify please, is that a 26% reduction, or is it taking 26% of the time it was before?

2 Likes

Reduction.

So this 26% reduction in load times on the “larger forms” - is this a 26% reduction from the “bad performance” introduced by the Microsoft updates addressed in this thread? Or a 26% reduction from previous baseline?

I’m just a little concerned because I know some of our forms - like Job Entry - the performance got at least 2x as bad (e.g. a 2-3 second load time went up to like 6-8 seconds). So for that I would almost expect a 50% reduction in load times.

Yeah I think what we are going to end up with is an update that still slows performance down, but just not as bad as it did the first time… Ugh. Not looking forward to having to try and explain that to upper management, and end users. Things like this really kill the argument us IT staff try and push about keeping current is a good thing. :frowning: Don’t get me wrong, it’s better than nothing or what it was before but this is just a big bummer if that is the case.

2 Likes

Stay hopeful, maybe the hardware / environment Epicor was testing on the performance hit was not as bad as in some of our environments, so maybe the fix is still an actual full fix.

1 Like

The performance improvement was measured with the problematic update and then after applying the preview patch. Performance will vary from machine to machine so I wouldn’t put too much weight on the exact percentage. The fact that there was a significant improvement tells me that Microsoft did address the cause of the issue.

There is another customer that is working with Microsoft directly in parallel with us. They are on this thread. I would be curious to see what improvement they have measured with the patch.

I understand that you have received the same patch as Epicor. Do you have any measurements you can share on the performance delta you observed?

Is there a timeline for when Epicor - Microsoft will release the patch?

2 Likes

Or stated differently, will the April 2021-04 cumulative updates break things again, for those of us that have been staying away from Microsoft updates the last few months?

I’ve been watching and waiting for that to be released as well. Mass uninstalls on 100+ machines is not a fun process, blocking is just as annoying but avoids the problem from happening.