Sudden drop Epicor speed caused by Microsoft Updates -> (KB4601319, KB5000802, KB5000808,KB4601382,KB4601383) +

Jonathan - Looks like your bleeping computer post is old news and they have updated to say KB5001649 is on again…

Well that’s good maybe? :grin:

The Microsoft Catalogue says that KB5001649 replaces KB5000802, so don’t see how it would be a pre-req. Is it showing as a feature update? It was classed different than mandatory or optional…

You should also be able to download from the catalogue
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5001649

As noted there is nothing showing as available for my machine. KB5000802 and KB4601319 are blocked.

And to be honest, currently I’m not in any rush to apply another update quite yet. It’s been a bear staying ahead of all of these other issues.

Just found the Problem entry in Epicare: Form - EpicCare (service-now.com)

There is no comment on a path forward, but interestingly there are a bunch of development Tasks listed:

1 Like

FYI, I have pinged Development, and they are very aware of this issue. They have a call into Microsoft, and they have also heard that others have reported it. Right now, it is still assumed to be a Microsoft issue. Our developers are monitoring the issue, which is probably why you see all the tasks.

5 Likes

Just updated a spare PC within the domain and local to the server, and Epicor speed seems fine.
Then worked with a purchasing user to take the pause off updates on their PC and updated to the latest including KB5000802, speed test was fine. Then updated to optional KB5001649, and Epicor speed is fine on this production PC. We are going to wait a couple of days and have different people test on this users Epicor to ensure it is all ok before updating more.

I don’t want to say it out loud in case I jinx it, but I think something they have done has corrected the issue. Updates on the users PC that were installed today were Quality KB5000802, Other KB890830, KB4577586, KB4601554, KB4589212, KB5001649.

We have been having the same issue. I have uninstalled a good handful of windows updates with no good result. Unfortunately, Epicor Support has not been very transparent.

Dumb question but how is everyone actually doing the rollbacks, if you are doing rollbacks? Just uninstall from Control Panel and then reboot? Any gotchas to that?

Don’t rush to do the updates, as the user is now saying they are slow, yet when I tested with the user it was ok. Obviously need to document the issue better tomorrow…

I’m still not seeing any of these updates available for my machine as it stands. Judging by your latest post though I will take that and run with it since it still seems like there is some sort of issue out there.

Sadly I feel like every article I read out there concentrates on the BSOD and printing issues with these KB’s. I have not once read one that is identifying 3rd party application performance issues. All of these emergency fixes as well identify those other problems too. I just don’t have comfort in believing that these emergency update fixes are correcting the issue we are being presented with.

1 Like

Those are my exact thoughts and findings as well Jonathan.

1 Like

Uninstall from the control panel if you still have that ability… the grace period may have expired by now depending on which update it is though and how long it’s been installed. After that use the WUShowHide application to block it from re-installing. If you can’t uninstall you’ll have to resort to rolling back to a previous date if that is enabled in your environment.

Thanks. I was able to get our infrastructure guys to do it last night. They rolled back KB5000822 on Windows Server 2019 (version 1809), and whatever they did ended up installing an older patch - KB4601345. But we’re stable now; that seems to have fixed the issue. Will probably just pause patching until there is a resolution.

I wanted to let you all know that Epicor has an open support issue with Microsoft to track this problem. I want to be clear that this is not an Epicor issue but we opened a case as it is affecting our customers.
Thank you everyone for all the details in this thread. This information has proven invaluable in reporting the problem.
I don’t have anything concrete to share yet other than confirm it is being worked on by Microsoft. Once there is more concrete information, I will post again here.

16 Likes

Update on this:
We have received a fix preview from Microsoft. We are in the process of testing it as is one of our customers that opened an issue with MS independently from us (perhaps it’s 2103040040006613 mentioned above?). I expect we will complete testing next week.

If that is successful, Microsoft will package the fix via standard Windows update (probably a patch Tuesday).

As this fix is a private preview, I am not able to share it outside of Epicor.

This is all preliminary information and I’m sharing it to be transparent as to where things stand. Keep in mind that it could all change or the fix may not solve the issue.

16 Likes

Has anyone had issues removing these updates, I cannot click uninstall on the KB5000808 update and it installed on the 15th. I tried the WUSA command and it says it is needed and cannot be removed.

@Jcampbell, Read up the chain on this post… I believe that someone shows how to uninstall it.

Thank you for the transparency! That’s all we really needed… and the fix as well.

1 Like

Think we need to be concerned at all about the 2021-03 Dynamic Updates for Windows 10 … that just pushed out to our WSUS server last night? Looks like it’s these two KB numbers:
KB5000862
KB5000983

Or is it just the Patch Tuesday updates that I need to quickly test and get ahead of if it re-introduces the issue?