Survey - Part entry UOM Combo Preference

As part of our initiative to improve the “top 20 apps that are used by every customer every day (eced20)” we are reviewing ALL the cards, screens fields on these apps for best experience. Today we noticed that the combo boxes for Part app’s Unit of Measure shows the UOM CODE but not the UOM Description (until you press the combo)…
Question: How would you prefer these combo boxes to display?

• Only show the abbreviated UOM CODE (current behavior)
  • Only show the UOM Description from the Description table
  • Only show the SYMBOL from the UOM table
  • Show both the UOM code and UOM Description (if this is even possible)
  • Other (please leave comments

0 voters

Here is the data from the UOM Table:

Here is how EACH looks in the Part Screen: THIS is what we are asking about.

Show the Code or Description and put the other in a Tool Tip.

Just a suggestion…

That’s the same way it works in classic? I don’t see the problem. There are so very many actual problems people have reported, it surprises me this is even on the radar.

I have removed the phrase “that’s the way it works in classic” from our vocabulary. We are no longer allowed to use that as excuse for keeping it that way especially if it should be better. This is on the radar because we are reviewing ALL fields, how they display, and their placement on the screens (especially the required ones).

3 Likes

Fix the broken problems first. Not the window dressing.
PO suggestions have gotten better, but for grid views, you have to scroll down to get all records.

Many mouse clicks are required to do something a simple keyboard tap did in classic.

Epicor won’t have Kinetic ready for 2025 if the is a concern about fields, get the speed up in processing in Kinetic first.

1 Like

Yes exactly. I have dozens of problems that actually prevent us from using kinetic at all. I don’t have time to care about something that works perfectly fine.

Bruce… Let’s be nice… we not trying to start an argument here. We are going through the high usage screens to fix bugs AND UI issues in them. While there, we are also addressing the “window dressing” that has been broke for many years.
Example of window dressing… on the Job Operation tab, the Operation Description and the operation combo box are out of sequence… been that way forever… is it a bug? no… is it an irritation, YES. If you populated the description first, then chose the operation, your description disappeared. “working as designed”…
We ARE getting to the bugs, but as we readdress each screen, we want one set of changes, not two.

2 Likes

If you dont want to take the time to answer, that is ok. We are asking before we make some changes in behavior that people may not want. We actually had multiple opinions as we were discussing internally, and felt it was something to review with customers.

A few thoughts.

1. I go months forgetting that there even is a description. It appears like absolutely nowhere. Part tran history uses the abbreviation, Job Entry uses the abbreviation, etc., etc.

2. Shampoo bottles say FLOZ/mL and bags of cement say LB/KG and no one is googling what it means. I think we’re safe here. I don’t trust Americans with how to read a ruler, but UOMs are common enough. Just don’t ask us to convert pints to gallons.

3. Also, as an administrator, I hate when someone gives me a list of parts and primary supplier name and now I have to go cross-reference to the supplier ID. I wouldn’t change this, but I’m just saying please don’t add this pain to UOMs also.

2 Likes

Also, I appreciate the interest in superficial stuff.

I, too, have much to rag on Kinetic, and even more when we go live at the end of the month.

But I am reminded of this documentary on building a US subway (maybe the Big Dig @Ernie) and they talked about the billions spent and yet cutting like 100k out of the budget to tile the walls of the stations. I’ll tell you, ugly subway stations are depressing, and they should have found the money for tile.

User experience really does matter.

And I’m sure Epicor can handle two different teams handling two different projects. There’s no overlap here.

[Edit: Hmm @Ernie maybe I am wrong for what state you are from - who are my Massachusetts people here?]

1 Like

My preference would be Default to UOMSymbol, then UOMCode if blank.

At some point in the past our company chose to use the ANSI_UNITS_OF_MEASURE.pdf (275.3 KB) in the UOMCode field, which isn’t always the common abbreviation that you would expect. For example, Meter = MR. The UOMSymbol field would be ‘m’, which is what most people would recognize or prefer to see in normal interactions.

The UOMSymbol field doesn’t seem to be used at all in the UI, and most reports I have seen use UOMCode as well. I really wish it was used more.

Wow that list is garbage! I get it, they stuck with 2 letters or bust, but it was not worth it!

Double plus ungood.

Yeah… it’s a subset of the X12 standard, apparently the US standard for EDI transactions.

Another feature I would really appreciate is a SortSequence field. I want to see ‘Each’ at the top of my list, not ‘Box of 12’.

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack this topic. I just added a UOM to our system yesterday so this is all fresh in my mind.

1 Like

I’m curious what this list includes.

Okay - how about this option:

The way UOM fields are displayed should be an Administrators Option configured on the Company Configuration Form and it should apply to ALL UOM display fields - with individual field overrides possible via Extended Properties and Form specific overrides available via AppStudio Customization.

One of the strengths of the Kinetic design is that it is heavily metadata driven. We should leverage that so the end-users - end user committee (good luck with that) - can make the decision. Epicor should have a default (probably the way it is currently) but the final decision should be a customer choice.

6 Likes

I am indeed “from” Massachusetts… but FROM is the operative word here. I have retired from winter as I previously knew it and reside in the much warmer state of South Carolina.

But yes, the Big Dig was a (albeit temporary) disaster for many… and the Boston subway system is in somewhat more dire straits now.

@timshuwy Perhaps a “standard” Unit of Measure list would be good start. Like EA = Each, GA = Gallon, FT = Foot, etc. I know when I had to recreate UOM codes because someone didn’t set them up right in the first place and then they couldn’t be deleted. It would be nice to have a program to “convert” the broken ones to the correct ones and have them standardized (at least the ones that are common).

And I appreciate someone taking time to “fix” those annoying things! Maybe I’m a little OCD on that, but when I see things that aren’t lined up or out of order or whatever, it drives me crazy!

I like that option, Rich.

My vote is other. Other being Rich’s idea.

1 Like