System running slow. App Server log jumped to the Windows application log

What determines where the event viewer logs go to? Starting last night the App Server logs are going into the regular windows application log. A open with time phase that should take 10 seconds is currently at 45 minutes and still has not finished. I have an open ticket with Epicor and am waiting to get a call back.

I have bounced the box twice and no change. The event log process is using 8% of the cpu.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

1 Like

Events that used to go into Epicor specific logs? Some processes initiated by the App Server may normally create entries in the Windows Applications logs.

Here’s a screenshot of Event Viewer on our App server. Note the number of entries with “Epicor” in the name of the Event Source:

edit

Hmmm … but when I Sort by Source, there arent’ any entries for those Epicor Events.

I wonder if there events of those source in the past - which have since been deleted - and that’s why they appear as enteries in the filter’s dropdown list.

Those events are in the Epicor specific event logs for app or task agent. Up until this weekend mine were also.

I use the logs for debugging and troubleshooting all the time. Below is the post where Bart shows the location.

https://www.epiusers.help/t/please-look-in-the-flight-data-recorder/36177?u=bart_elia?u=bart_elia

Greg

Test/Pilot

image001.png

Live Epicor App Server is now empty and …

They are now moved to Application

That is weird. What is the oldest event in the Windows\Application log?
(The oldest one you’d expect to be in Apps and Service\Epicor App Server)

Hi, whats the sql server doing? Do the test environments have the same issue? Any hardware issues?

1 Like

SQL is fine and the task and printing app server on the same box is processing reports and background tasks normal. I just did a test of our weekly wip recon which was 550 pages in 4 minutes, but an open with timephase for 100 jobs did not finish in an hour. Test did the open with in 10 seconds and is on clone app and sql of live in the same VM environment. I think at this point I am going to restore the server from a backup from last week.

Time for some silly questions. Time phase takes a long time for all parts? Other processes such as sales order entry etc take the normal time. Is it litterally, timephase that is causing the problem?

1 Like

It is more like UI items that draw a lot of data fail, but UI with small amounts of data work. Entry screens seem to be mostly ok. BAQs that pull lots of data hang.I did a time phase for a part with a dozen items and although slower than normal it completed. The only reason time phase was the focus was that it was the first reported issue and easy to show support that on Test it completed quickly and on Live it always failed.
The hardest part is the event viewer also craps out, so I can’t see any other errors that could be the cause.

I know you have a load of logic there. Does disabling BPMs on the server make a difference?

I will try that before I restore the vm tonight, but I can’t take them out since 2nd is still working and I have to wait until 3rd is clocked in before I make any changes. I think the biggest thing is the Event log moving to Applications since as you know I do love to write to that log.

I’ve seen problems before with data directives around the time phase and mrp tables (orders and jobs)

1 Like