Track Inventory by Revision

Cool new feature. In testing it seems to work just like it says it does.

BUT.

We have 8000 manufactured parts that we now want to add the functionality to… and you can’t DMT the change using the Part DMT. The field exists but we get an error message saying, “Use PartUOM Conversion to modify Track Inventory by Revision setting. ECOMtl transaction records already exist for this part.”

If I go to the Part UOM Conversion program, I can manually change it there with no error, but the field-level help says it’s the exact same database field (Part.TrackInventoryByRevision).

I REALLY don’t want to have to manually update 8000 part numbers via the Part UOM Conversions program. Anyone run into this before with a better solution?

I have not, but have you thought about building an app that uses the REST API to perform the update? A specialized mini-DMT tool?

(This kind of thing is always my go-to… writing .NET code is my passion :smiley: )

What I tried that seems to have worked is creating a BPM on Part.Update that invokes the “PerformTrackInventoryByRevisionConversion” method. It throws an error “Row has been modified by another user”, but the update is saved. Now I’ll test it and see if it actually works or if I broke something more important.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, we turned that feature on when we created new parts during our implementation. We set every part, both purchased and manufactured, with Rev A and tracked inventory by revision for all of them. We ran into major issues trying to create BOM’s / MOM’s using purchased parts with Revisions. All the issues went away when we wiped our test database and started again with all parts having revisions but not setting the new flag. Any time we tried to create or modify a MOM in the Engineering Workbench, we got hit with Missing Attribute errors that nobody was able to help us work around.

Thanks @dorio! I’ll keep an eye on the processes and see how it develops.

Where is this setting controlled. we have 2023.1.4 in a dev environment but i cant seem to find that setting

It’s in Part UOM Conversion. Go figure.

Ernie, you think it’s like when we were in that Advanced UOM class a few insights ago and they said it’s not something you can turn on unless you’re doing a new implementation?

I CAN tell you it’s still having the same issues with Purchased Parts (and manufactured subassemblies) and MOMs, and the fixes we’ve gotten from support have not changed that issue.

Essentially, we’ve only been able to set that flag on a true top-level part. If it is in the material list of ANY part, it can’t be tracked by revision.

I’ve only tried to use it on implementations (2 so far), but it would appear that it’s pretty closely tied to UOM. To me that means that if transactions exist, you’re aching for trouble.

@Craig (long time no see dude), please let us know how it works out on an existing system!

if this is a feature and not a bug, it wont help us.

ill test it out and let you know what i discover.

1 Like

Did a test on 2023.2.6. Created a new part, flagged part as Track Rev in Part UOM Conv.
Created a PO with 2 different revs. received to the same bin. it combined them and listed as one rev.

expected behavior is to see both revs in the location.

@timshuwy is there a different tool i should be using to view inventory by rev?
I used part tracker.

2 Likes

Nice Craig

I also put in a ticket with Epicor about saying it appears this tool doesnt work and this is the reply I got.

Thank you for letting me know that this s something that you are newly trying to setup and use. Unfortunately, Support cannot provide further assistance on this as it appears to be environmental and outside the assistance Epicor Support can provide. We help when there is an issue with something that has previously been used and has worked prior and it is now having in issue. When it comes to learning and understanding and setting up new features, that is where pour Professional Services/ Consultants come in as they are better equipped to help ensure it is working and setup properly for the business and it's needs.

However, I did provide you with a Knowledge based Article below in order to try to help with some information, but this is all of the assistance I could really help with on this request.

Follow up from Epicare.

they provided these release notes, which seem to contradict each other.

"In Release notes:

If you have multiple revisions for an item with the same effective date, the current revision for this part appears by default. If you have more than one revision with different effective dates, the revision will default by the latest Effective Date. So if an older revision has a more recent effective date, this is the one that will default as long as it is an approved revision.

In other Release notes:

• Track Inventory by Revision comes with the Inventory module
  • Visibility of Inventory down to the Revision level
  • Customers will now be able to realize quantity for each revision of an item
    For example:
  • Today I have 200 pieces of Part 123. The first 100 may have been MFG under Revision A, the second 100 may have been MFG under Revision B
  • In inventory Part tracker will show Part 123 for a Qty of 200
  • With Track Inventory by Revision the Part Tracker will show:
  • Two records
  • Part 123 Rev A Qty 100
  • Part 123 Rev B Qty 100
    "

Follow up:
I was told by Support that you can only see Revs by using the kinetic part tracker form and clicking Activity. After making that here is what I see.

Next test is when doing inventory moved or issues to job will it ask for the rev so it decrements the correct rev quantity.

Yup. The “Track Inventory by Revision” functionality is a more recent addition, and was not added to the Classic screens. They’ve been threatening that for some time now, and this is the first one I’ve actually seen.

Although you could PROBABLY customize the Classic screens to add the checkboxes and stuff, it would equally probably be a nightmare.

Does Field help exist in kinetic? Im trying to see how epicor is storing that rev on hand data.

Yes… open the screen you want and click on the Help icon, click the Help and Support Center button, then check the Display Field Help check box. Each field on the form will sport a question mark that when clicked will show the field help.

1 Like

Thank you.

No Db value for the on hand quantity or Rev.

So issue material is asking for the Part Rev. I was able to issue the wrong rev to the job though. No Db field on the Issue material Rev so not sure how to do a check so we dont issue the wrong rev to the job.