Updating Clients Epicor 9

We too found the constraint to remove the client (and server) applications using traditional Windows Add/Remove disappointing. We use the installation packages to remove / repair as need be.

Pardon not having the detail in front of me, but there is a parameter in the mfgsys file which will update the client if the server is patched.

I'd check your settings in this file.

Maybe a little too liberal, we do grant local administrative rights to our employees and use Active Directory Group Policy tactics to drive consistency on our workstations. For Epicor Smart Client, we deploy using Terminal Services (Citrix) which gives us a bit more control.

Bob Schafbuch
Integrated DNA Technologies
I have discovered that if a user is not an admin (maybe a power users) on their machine they are unable to update their Epicor client after the server is patched. I call Epicor tech support and was told there is no way around this issue. Being a person that refuses to give any uses local Admin rights on a computer I started screwing around trying to find a way to get this to work. I believe I have found a work around.
If you give the local user group modify rights to the "C:\program files\epicor software" folder and cascade those permissions all the way down that Epicor Software folder, a normal user will be able to update their Epicor 9 Client after a patch is applied to the server.

Hope this helps other admins out there.
You think you've got problems. When we were told how to install the clients we were told to install them in C:\EPCIOR904 which means that if you install it as Admin then only admin can get or use it. We have to apply permissions on that folder like described below.

Have you tried uninstalling E9 yet? You can't! Well you can but not by the 'remove/iuninstall' option you have to do it through the change/repair option.

Sent: Wed, 25 November, 2009 22:45:44
Subject: [Vantage] Updating Clients Epicor 9

Â
I have discovered that if a user is not an admin (maybe a power users) on their machine they are unable to update their Epicor client after the server is patched. I call Epicor tech support and was told there is no way around this issue. Being a person that refuses to give any uses local Admin rights on a computer I started screwing around trying to find a way to get this to work. I believe I have found a work around.
If you give the local user group modify rights to the "C:\program files\epicor software" folder and cascade those permissions all the way down that Epicor Software folder, a normal user will be able to update their Epicor 9 Client after a patch is applied to the server.

Hope this helps other admins out there.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]