Upgrade 10.2.300 to 10.2.700 Seed Data Error

Hello Folks,

Piloting an upgrade from 10.2.300 to 10.2.700. Working in a sandbox on a newly built VM. Have 10.2.700.13 installed and running as a new install and can log in to a clean database. We are taking a pass at upgrading a backup of our current 10.2.300.40 database.

In Task ID 430 SeedData of the upgrade process we keep getting hung here (looks like UpdateTip.sql?):

Starting Execution Phase…

• Load table from file
    Information Load table from file
    Execute Import Seed Data Task.
    Information Load table from file UpdateCnvProgsTable.sql
    Seed Data
    Information Load table from file UpdateGlobalSetting.sql
    Seed Data
    Information Load table from file UpdateReportStyle.sql
    Seed Data
    Information Load table from file UpdateRptStructuredOutputFile.sql
    Seed Data
    Information Load table from file UpdateSecurityMenuZTables.sql
    Seed Data
    Information Load table from file UpdateShellLayout.sql
    Seed Data
    Information Load table from file UpdateTheme.sql
    Seed Data
    Information Load table from file UpdateTip.sql
    Seed Data
    Error Load table from file Ice.Menu Exception thrown loading table: Column ‘DefaultFormType’ does not allow nulls.
    Error Load table from file Ice.Menu Exception thrown loading table: Column ‘DefaultFormType’ does not allow nulls.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
JM

you should probably contact Tech Support with this error. They may have a fix, or it may not have ever been detected.

1 Like

Hi Joe,

I suggest you run these two queries in your 10.2.300 database.

select * from Ice.Menu where DefaultFormType is null
select DefaultFormType from Ice.Menu group by DefaultFormType

The result must look like the following:
select #1 should return no records.
select #2 should return at least 2 records

If you get a record from select #1 get the value of a “similar” record and update it before you run the upgrade on the DB.

Hope it helps.
Carlos
PSE

Seems the DefaultFormType column isn’t even present in 10.2.300, both those queries fail for me in that version. Must have been introduced later.

I have got a 10.2.700 test environment running, and didn’t run into this error - doesn’t solve this case, but I can verify that the default process works OK.

Hello Folks…

Thanks for the input here.

@timshuwy

Yep… I opened a case right before I posted here. They are requesting the properties of the following file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Epicor Software\Database Manager Extensions\3.2.700\DB Migration\DB Scripts\Ice Scripts\Seed\Ice.Menu.edt

@carlosqt and @markdamen

Same as Mark here… No DefaultFormType column in that table.

I’ll see what becomes of the support case and post back the findings.
I may try find the properties of that column and jam into SQL on my test server and see what comes of that.

Again, I appreciate the input here.

Thanks,
JM

So I ran a basic row count on Ice.Menu for the database that kept throwing this error during the upgrade process from 10.2.300 to10.2.700. It was only showing about 200 records as compared to 2000+ in the production database at the lesser version. Anyway I just pulled a fresh backup and re-ran the upgrade process on the test server again and was able to get from 10.2.300.41 to 10.2.700.13 on the next pass. It made it through this step without an issue. Now on to verifying customizations.

Appreciate the help here. Carlos thanks for passing on the hints and sql for the ice.menu table.

1 Like