Using Right Click >> Open With - Linked Form Indicator? Can you Break Link?

When you launch a form from another form using Right Click >> Open With (Ex: from Job Entry, right click in part number field >> Open With >> Part Entry), the forms become linked.

Is there an indicator on Part Entry screen that let’s you know Job Entry and Part Entry are linked?

If I want to use Part Entry screen independently of Job Entry, can you break the link somehow (i.e. you won’t need to launch a separate instance of Part Entry from homescreen)?

Yes. I don’t recall the exact method. It might be holding down a key (CTRL?, SHFT?, ???) when selecting the context menu (but not while doing the initial right click).

Yes, you can launch a separate instance of the same form by holding down SHIFT and clicking on the form.

Example: with a Part Entry screen open that is linked (launched via Open With from Job Entry Screen), you can launch a separate instance of Part Entry from the home screen by holding down SHIFT while selecting Part Entry.

Now you have (2) Part Entry screens open (one linked and one not). How do you tell the difference between linked and not linked? Is there an “linked to form” indicator? Can you break a link between forms?

I recall someone posting how to use the “Open With …” in a way that when you change to a different record on the original form, the form that was launched using “Open With …” does not update to show the record selected on original row.

For example: Using customer tracker and you’re viewing the invoices. You right click on invoice “1000” and choose “Open With → Invoice Tracker” When invoice tracker loads, invoice “1000” will be shown.

Now if you go back in Customer Tracker and select the row for invoice “1234” on the gird of Invoices , then the Invoice Tracker automatically loads invoice “1234” in Customer tracker. If you switch back to invoice tracker, you think you’re still looking at invoice “1000”, and might not realize it is actually “1234”.

Is that what you want to break?

I believe if you enter a different part number than the one related it breaks the link.

You are correct.
1.) Be able to identify if a form is linked (some visual indicator)
2.) Be able to break the link (prevent auto-update when selecting different fields in other linked form)

Just tested entering a different part #, it doesn’t break the link

I believe that the only way to break the link is to close one of the two programs. I have never seen another way. This might be a really good Epicor Ideas entry for Kinetic… someone should create the idea and let everyone know about it so that they can vote:

When you use “Open With” function in Kinetic:

1. Provide a way to see which program is the publishing program.
  2. Provide a way to break the link.to the publishing program.

From a post in the erp9 category

(i had a hard time finding it because i was searching in E10)

1 Like

Thank you!

Verified, on my end as well…

Holding down Ctrl will launch a separate, non-linked form.

Holding down Shift will launch a separate, linked form.